California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Moving to the bay area from Georgia

Old 08-27-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Moving to the bay area from Georgia

Hey Everyone,

I will be relocating to the bay area in the next few months from Georgia. I'll be working in Newark but commuting out of the city (not in my S). I have a few questions though regarding moving my car to California as it seems that though it's a custom car haven, there are a million rules regarding what you can't and can do to your car. I've heard bad stories about people getting hassled for having aftermarket wheels and the like.

Right now, I have aftermarket wheels and a BBK on my car. No exhaust or engine mods except for an Injen CAI. I'm also tinted at 5% (illegal in Georgia as well but they don't hassle you here about it). I know most mods need a CARB certificate but do those things get checked for emissions, what's the story with that?

Thanks in advance for any help. I look forward to making some of the meets once I get moved out.

-Joe
Old 08-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclon36
Hey Everyone,

I will be relocating to the bay area in the next few months from Georgia. I'll be working in Newark but commuting out of the city (not in my S). I have a few questions though regarding moving my car to California as it seems that though it's a custom car haven, there are a million rules regarding what you can't and can do to your car. I've heard bad stories about people getting hassled for having aftermarket wheels and the like.

Right now, I have aftermarket wheels and a BBK on my car. No exhaust or engine mods except for an Injen CAI. I'm also tinted at 5% (illegal in Georgia as well but they don't hassle you here about it). I know most mods need a CARB certificate but do those things get checked for emissions, what's the story with that?

Thanks in advance for any help. I look forward to making some of the meets once I get moved out.

-Joe
All you need is a CARB sticker for your intake either on your intake or anywhere under the hood where it's clearly visible. A good spot would be next to the vehicle emissions label
Old 08-28-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Drdoc
All you need is a CARB sticker for your intake either on your intake or anywhere under the hood where it's clearly visible. A good spot would be next to the vehicle emissions label
Is that something I can get from Injen or do people just buy generic ones like the DOT stickers for those cheap helmets? I also have a Berk high flow cat, will that throw a red flag?
Old 08-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drdoc' timestamp='1472335405' post='24049243

Is that something I can get from Injen or do people just buy generic ones like the DOT stickers for those cheap helmets? I also have a Berk high flow cat, will that throw a red flag?
I think the high flow cat is acceptable during emissions tests. Call injen and see if your model was carb legal. If it is ask them for a replacement sticker.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Bay Area (even though its over populated). You should be good as long as your not running a super loud exhaust. Certain cities like fremont are really strict on modification. Other then that just don't drive like a douche and give any cops a reason to pull you over.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You can call Injen for a sticker with an EO # on it. As far as the high flow CAT goes no EO# stamped on the CAT it's not Carb legal.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Joe, Berk HFC will NOT pass the visual when you do a smog check. I bought mine from balladesports but and had a smog test a few months back and I ended up having to purchase a new OEM cat. I heard a few s2k owners were able to somehow with Berk HFC but I am in San Francisco and it wasted my money. It is legal all other states except CA according to Berk website. Welcome to the Bay Area and good luck on passing your emissions here. Your aftermarket wheels and tint window should be fine.

-Vue
Old 08-29-2016, 03:26 AM

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to swap my Berk out before taking off. Glad to hear tint is not a huge issue, it gets incredibly hot here in Georgia so both my cars are tinted.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think front window tint is illegal in CA

when you register your car here, you need a smog check. that's where your berk will not pass. if you can't get a carb sticker for your intake, you need to reinstall your oem intake.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello i live in newark! welcome buddy

Quick Reply: Moving to the bay area from Georgia