California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

moving to bay area (again...)

Old 09-14-2003, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving to bay area (again...)

dont want to be a pain in the butt and ask about similar stuff again, but i will be out in your neck of the woods on tuesday and wednesday trying to find a place to live (starting work mid oct.). so far the towns with locations of interest are: antioch, san ramon, walnut creek, and livermore in no particular order. i dont mind driving 45 or so minutes to and from work (livermore), so that is of not much concern.

i will be visiting condos and apartments those two days, but for those who live in any of those areas, can you please let me know what you like (or dislike) about them.

again, much thanks

bassem
Old 09-14-2003, 06:43 PM

Saratoga Come live in Saratoga

jk

If you don't mind sharing how much you looking to spend?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:48 PM

yeah, saratoga is kind of far.

i found places in my target price range (1600 +/-). not sure if you read my post a while ago, but garaging two cars is a priority for me, and the places i have found/ will be visiting so far accomodate that

bassem
Old 09-14-2003, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try to stay in the Livermore, Pleasanton, Dublin, San Ramon area if you can. The cities are cleaner, less crime, and just generally nicer. I would stay away from Antioch if you can just because of the increased amount of crime. Of course everyone has their own priorities. It's also more expensive in general to live in the tri-valley area. I've lived in Dublin for the last 3 years and like it a lot. Nicer restaurants, and shops.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:10 PM

Livermore itself is a bit run-down and appears to be higher on the crime scale.

San Ramon is very clean, very safe, and/but a bit upscale. I live here and like the fact that I can walk anywhere in town at night and not worry about anything. it is a bit pricey to live here, but you get what you pay for. it is, however, quiet-- that is to say, no night life. which can be a blessing actually-- I don't mind it a bit. but if you like to party San Ramon ain't your town. it is easy enough though to go to another town and party there, and come back to the quiet solitude and/or boredom of San Ramon.

note, the cops are therefore a bit bored and/or hyperactive and will happily pull you over if you VTEC in the wrong place, namely, anyplace in San Ramon. (I do know a safe place or two to VTEC however-- I'll fill you in if you end up moving here. )

they also strike me as the kind of cops who would gladly surround anyone who is loitering or doing anything remotely suspicious, which is nice that they're proactive about keeping crime down, unless of course you happen to fit a "profile". I'm not joking, they really do "profile" people here-- I have a few friends who commited the crime of being born a different race and have been pulled over and questioned for stupid shit. I kid you not. no doubt the ACLU has heard of the San Ramon Police Department, I am very sorry to say.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:22 PM

thanks for the tip voodoo, had not looked at dublin before, just never thought of it as a place to live for some reason. statistically speaking, dublin/pleasanton/san ramon are very similar crimewise. and yes, antoich is a bit higher in that area. coming from pittsburgh though, it is only half as bad, but many times worse than the above areas.

i have added a couple of places in dublin on my "go see" list, so thanks again. at this point i am leaning toward san ramon and dublin, but seeing is believing.

tritium, quiet is fine by me. i have friends in san francisco, so if i feel like being in a noisy place, i'll just head over there and crash at their place

oh yeah, well i am of a "different race"...so i guess the cops wont like that...and they would even hate it more when i go in to the sheriff's office and register my firearms....

thanks again
bassem
Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 PM

Bassem, great to hear you are finally moving to Cali. Welcome to the Bay area.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:57 AM

thanks Asura...will be working like a dog when i get there though. hope i can make enough time to enjoy the car

bassem
Old 09-15-2003, 11:37 AM

A lunch or dinner would be a nice way for you to meet some of the community. Let us know what would work with your schedule, and we'll set up a little get together. Just take the 'long' way to work. I am sure you'll quickly become acquainted with the various detours
Old 09-19-2003, 02:35 PM

i' m sorry for bouncing this back up, but the search engine here is soooo weak

i'm debating a move to the bay area (obviously). i'm somewhat familiar with the area geographically, but i don't where to live.

most times i've had to visit for work, i've stayed on the peninsula. the company is in menlo park near the dumbarton bridge. so i'm looking for a place not to far away.

i've been looking at places in mountain view and points south like santa clara or san jose. can anyone give me some input on places i should stay away from? i also don't know much about places on the east bay side (like fremont or newark).

my budget is 1500-1800 a month for an apartment if that helps. any help would be appreciated! i'll buy you dinner too, if i make it out there!

Quick Reply: moving to bay area (again...)