California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Motorcyle Schools

Old 09-13-2004, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Motorcyle Schools

Does anybody have any good recommendations? I know a few S owners here have gone through Motorcyle Safety School recently, so I thought I'd ask. I found that BAMT (http://www.motorcycleschool.com) has a course up in Vallejo for $198. Does anybody know of any schools they would recommend for a new rider?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 03:17 PM

PM Dong he thought the one he did was a good one.

Damn girl a bike too I swear even if you get the smallest bike it's still gonna be 3x bigger than you
Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showt...&threadid=13876

Just completed mine 2 weeks ago and learned sooo much. Some guys/girls who've been for riding for months and even years said it was the best money they've spent. Really good drills that you can practice safely in their parking lot. Really competent instructors as well. Small and big slaloms, emergency swerving and braking, riding over 2x4's, slow and fast turns, figure 8's and uturns, you name it they make you do it. At the end of 2 week session, you couldn't tell the experienced riders from the newbies who've never ridden before. In class sessions very good as they teach you skills to ride in traffic and what to look out for. Unfortunately, it's in Mountain View.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:44 PM

Wink

Thanks, guys!

I've been getting some good PMs from some of you... I appreciate all your help.

hyperpm - It looks like that school has evening weekday classes, which I can't go to because I work in the evenings. But I emailed the owner (?) and we'll see if he's planning on adding any more sessions that would happen to fit into my schedule.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:59 AM

I did the BAMT and it was really good. I'd consider myself a n00b also. My teachers were excellent and actually seemed to care to save some lives...
Old 09-14-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

hey minako,

Go for the CC Rider course

My roomie and I took it about 2 years ago even though we've been riding for like 8 years prior and we both learned a lot. At first we were like man, we know everything but the instructor was VERY knowledgeable and taught us so many safety tips, etc.

I think you call 800 - CC - RIDER to register. It's cheaper for students. The wait time could be quite high depending on the season but they provide the 250 cc motorcycles so all you have to do is show up. (I recommend you buy your own helmet, gloves since the ones they rent are gross!)

PM me if you have questions on bike selections, I have quite a few friends at bike dealers that can help you out depending on what bike u chose.

late
rick
Old 09-14-2004, 02:34 PM

Another suggestion for newbie rider is to wear extra armor underneath jacket and pants just in case. Some books listed here helpful as well for the street http://www.webbikeworld.com/books/street-strategies.htm
Old 09-15-2004, 10:17 PM

let me know when or where you plan on going... cuz i need to take the class too
Old 09-15-2004, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigRedDog,Sep 15 2004, 11:17 PM
let me know when or where you plan on going... cuz i need to take the class too

if you go, i'll go
Old 09-16-2004, 09:55 AM

Wink

BRD and iCEE, there is a possibility I'll be changing my shift at work. Instead of working 2-10 pm, I think I'll be moved to another department working 10 am to 6:30 pm. That will free up a lot of time for me to take the MSF course (since most of them are in the evenings). I am considering these two schools:

MVLA (Thanks hyperpm!)

and

Two Wheel Safety Training (recommended by Tim from MVLA)

I would really like to go to the course at MVLA because it got such a glowing recommendation from Ed. If you guys (or anybody else) want to take the course together, lemme know.

WOOHOO I'm so excited!!

Quick Reply: Motorcyle Schools