California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Most comfortable street coilovers?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious why you even want coilovers vs just shocks and springs if it's just for street use?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by Andrie' timestamp='1342830223' post='21877106
Bilstein PSS9 is really good for the money. However, it is not even in the same horizon with JRZ.

That's like those who been driving Yugo all their life, bought a Toyota Corolla and claimed it is the best car in the world, just because they've never try a BMW, for instance. Of course this example is exaggerated.

I'm not saying the Corolla is a bad car. It is pretty good for the money. I think everyone should come up with a budget and look within their budget. Not ask what's the best and try to buy the best. I understand we all want the best, but the best we can afford. That's why we drive S2000 not Ferrari. Well, some of you might be able to afford a Ferrari, I certainly don't.
I am sure the JRZs are fantastic, but complete overkill for the situation at hand. As you get closer to the higher end of things, you start spending dramatically more for smaller and smaller improvements. There is absolutely zero point in having a shock like JRZ designed for high spring rates (I assume) if the car is just being driven casually on the street. The comfort you gain from dampers like those could be had in a much simpler/more logical why by just changing to a logical spring rate that matches with street tires.
Like I said, the questions shouldn't be the best. Rather the best for specific budget.

I disagree on your last statement. At this point, it is not possible to spend little money to get the same comfort and quality. The JRZ adjustment covers wide range of scenario, which is a main advantage of their damper.

To the OP, at this time, you might just give PSS9 a try and see if that can satisfy you. If not, you can always sell it with little loss. Upgrade or get rides from others to test other suspension. My street car has JRZ RS Pro, which is a pretty big difference from SRC. Tom's car now has JRZ triple, which is quite a jump from my JRZ RS Pro. Although maybe you better off don't try the high end too soon, so you don't long for them.

I had a friend who asked me to drive his Porsche GT3 at Thunderhill. I refused profusely because I know once I drive it, I'd want it. He kept twisting my arm so I gave in. On the way home, I called my wife to see if we can afford a GT3.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM

Another point. Typical shock dynograph you'd like is to have a digressive instead of linear. Digressive damping is defined as a the force stabilize or flat lines with increasing shaft velocity. This to provide support on low speed where the car pitch, roll or taking set. Contrary to linear damper, digressive valving the force flatten out at high speed shaft, so you can drive over curb or big changes on track surface without upsetting the car too much.

Dyno doesn't tell all, however, one other thing is how fast the damper react to changes. Hysteresis is also very important to see where the damper lag.

Some damper can have near identical dynograph but feel totally different. Because one of them react much faster than the other.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
Like I said, the questions shouldn't be the best. Rather the best for specific budget.

I disagree on your last statement. At this point, it is not possible to spend little money to get the same comfort and quality. The JRZ adjustment covers wide range of scenario, which is a main advantage of their damper.
Yes there really is no point in asking what is the best anything, there isn't an answer for that question.

Yeah that is fair I suppose, but you really don't think you could get quite close to the same ride quality under mild driving conditions? JRZ, Moton, Ohlins, etc. can't defy physics, I find it extremely hard to believe 16-20kg springs with dampers from any of the above would be at the same level of street comfort or dramatically higher than something with half the spring rate and quite adequate HKS dampers? I guess it is all very subjective though, and maybe they can defy physics

What gets people even interested in something from JRZ for the S2000 though? Sure they have some great history, but nothing to do with the S2000 specifically right? What makes them better than something from a company like ASM with there countless highly developed and extremely S2000 specific Aragosta/SACHS setups? I guess the price points may be pretty different but you will definitely get dramatically different answers if you ask someone in Japan and someone in the US which dampers are the best for $xxxx. I am in no way trying to be rude here, I am genuinely curious and there are so many high-end damper manufacturers out there.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 PM

What do you mean about having to do with S2000 specifically? You mean like Japanese tuner doesn't use them? If that's the case, yes, as most Japanese tuner stick with Japanese brand, as they can work closer with them, without shipping parts in and out of the country.

When it comes to high end damper, they all pretty close IMHO. JRZ and Moton are identical up to triple adjustable and most parts are interchangeable. Koni 28 series damper is pretty good too. Ohlins TTX as well. Penske is also one of the best, but they have so many pistons and valving option, you have to have deep knowledge to get the right combination or sweet spot.

For race team, it will come down to who they can work closely with and get technical support. Where they can bounce ideas with the damper engineers and get suggestions on what to do or try. Or if there is any changes the team would like to do, the damper company reacts and try to make it happen. Racing is a bit complicated where most of the stuff out there being tried are prototyped. Someone will always come up with new ideas in any given weekend and want to try new ideas. As far as it worked or not, most of them doesn't. But some works. And when they work they have the advantage and that's worth trying it out.

I did have experience with Aragosta on an NSX and didn't think it was in the same level as those mentioned above. Not a lot of people have experience with wide range of damper, thus they are in the situation that think the one they have is the best because it is the best they ever tried.

Full disclosure, we are sponsored by JRZ and sell JRZ, Koni as well as Penske. Maybe it make us a little bias, but we truly believe they are among the best and we have first hand experience with pretty wide range of damper
Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is good stuff. Keep it coming.

When I was Japan, I got a ride around the city in one of the ASM cars (the black one with orange accents). It had the ridiculous expensive SACHS coilovers. My goodness. It was like some magical combination of firm and smooth suspension over any type of surface.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM

I love my jrz's
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
You should ask Tom a ride in his car with high spring rate and JRZ triple. You'll be amazed on how smooth the car on the street is.
Originally Posted by -outkast-
I love my jrz's
Rides better than my Mercedes on the street. Quite scary actually.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:16 PM

I have no experience with SACHS damper so I can't say one way or the other. However in 2002-2004, PTG team ran 2 of their cars with Moton and 1 with SACHS. Any one of them was able to win and was very competitive with each other. Ferrari F1 team also ran SACHS in 2003ish, but they were running rotary damper version, as well as Brawn GP in their winning 2009 season.

There are lot of cases when same team run different brand damper among their cars to learn more of advantageous on each of them.

Here is an interesting read on Rotary damper. Nowadays, F1 revert back to linear damper, but using inerter damper which was first founded by researcher in Cambridge University somewhere around 2004. http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/2011/11/25...otary-dampers/
Old 07-21-2012, 01:57 AM

riding softness and some what better handling compared to stock would be pss9, but if you want some what even better performance then v3

Quick Reply: Most comfortable street coilovers?