California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Most comfortable street coilovers?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Most comfortable street coilovers?

Since the roads in San Francisco are horrible and I don't track anymore, I'm thinking about changing from my HKS coilovers to something else.

What do you think are the most comfortable street coilovers? Bilstein PSS9? Moton Street Sports? Mac's fancy Ohlins TTX setup?
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No specific recommendations, but probably something that valved for a soft spring rate out of the box and go with progressive springs.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm currently on T1R B52 Max, and I find it pretty comfortable. I've sat on TEINS also and seems pretty comfy also. I hear bilsteins PSS9 are slightly a bit more stiff than stock. And all good reviews I hear are the kW V3. I've test drove in them and wish I can afford them. I'm pretty sure Mac's ohlins are really nice too but I can't afford those ultimate premium coilovers or have the bragging rights. Lol

My dream coilovers at the moment are the KW V3, for comfort and performance
Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kw v3 is hands down the best between the street and track
Old 07-19-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

You could probably get away with just looking at different springs for your current HKS setup. Not sure what the spring rates on your current setup are, but most adjustable dampers can definitely deal with softer spring rates than their original intended one. You just sacrifice a bit of adjustability range maybe. Not ideal but if you aren't doing much shock tuning it is irrelevant anyway.

Another option to consider (before swapping the springs or the entire coilover setup) are some roll center adjusters F&R (extended ball joints) if you car is fairly low, this will help make the suspension more active and should help it cope with gaps and bumps in the road.

http://www.maxrev.net/site/index.php...sion&Itemid=58
Old 07-19-2012, 05:18 PM

JRZ Motorsport series is one of the best to dampen high speed shaft speed. Big bumps or undulation on the street is greatly dampen. Disclosure: I mention JRZ first because their my sponsor. However even, if they are not my sponsor I would say they are great, in reality though, they are identical to Moton, up to triple adjustable. You should ask Tom a ride in his car with high spring rate and JRZ triple. You'll be amazed on how smooth the car on the street is.

I am about to experience Penske with regressive valving which was pioneered in F1 in 2003. I should know first hand sometime next month and can give you update on these as well. In theory, high speed shaft speed should be greatly dampen, even better than the JRZ. But until I try it, I can't say for sure.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bilsteins. game over.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Bilstein PSS9 is really good for the money. However, it is not even in the same horizon with JRZ.

That's like those who been driving Yugo all their life, bought a Toyota Corolla and claimed it is the best car in the world, just because they've never try a BMW, for instance. Of course this example is exaggerated.

I'm not saying the Corolla is a bad car. It is pretty good for the money. I think everyone should come up with a budget and look within their budget. Not ask what's the best and try to buy the best. I understand we all want the best, but the best we can afford. That's why we drive S2000 not Ferrari. Well, some of you might be able to afford a Ferrari, I certainly don't.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my TEIN SRC's are pretty comfy on the streets and thats with spoon kevlar buckets too.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
Bilstein PSS9 is really good for the money. However, it is not even in the same horizon with JRZ.

That's like those who been driving Yugo all their life, bought a Toyota Corolla and claimed it is the best car in the world, just because they've never try a BMW, for instance. Of course this example is exaggerated.

I'm not saying the Corolla is a bad car. It is pretty good for the money. I think everyone should come up with a budget and look within their budget. Not ask what's the best and try to buy the best. I understand we all want the best, but the best we can afford. That's why we drive S2000 not Ferrari. Well, some of you might be able to afford a Ferrari, I certainly don't.
I am sure the JRZs are fantastic, but complete overkill for the situation at hand. As you get closer to the higher end of things, you start spending dramatically more for smaller and smaller improvements. There is absolutely zero point in having a shock like JRZ designed for high spring rates (I assume) if the car is just being driven casually on the street. The comfort you gain from dampers like those could be had in a much simpler/more logical why by just changing to a logical spring rate that matches with street tires.

Quick Reply: Most comfortable street coilovers?