California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

modified exhaust ticket

Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KVee
I've gotten numerous modified exhaust, no front plate and window tint tickets, not one time they were not correctable.. I went to chp with my stock exhaust and had them sign it off.. Same for window and front plate.
I'm not too sure now about modified exhaust and of they are correctable or not but if they aren't, there should be something about state referee station to sign it off. State reff should be free, atleast it was when I got cited for modified emissions with a turbo kit... All I paid was the $8.25 smog cert fee.
Correctable violations varies between different counties, sf is $25 per violation, meaning 1 ticket with plate and exhaust is $50, other counties should be $10 for the whole ticket.

If anything you should go ahead and install your stock exhaust bring it to either chp or local ref station and have then sign it off, even if it's non correctable, some people r nice enough to help. Then take the ticket to court and plea your case, the judge should be able to change the violation to a correctable violation, with your signatures you shouldn't be paying anything more than $50
very useful information! thanks!
however, state ref is $30 or so from what i've heard.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got cited for window tint, illegal air horn and modified emissions by the chp by san Mateo county.. My total fine after fixing everything was $33.25... Judge reduced the fine to $25 after corrections, and $8.25 smog cert... My orginal fine was $800 something if I were to just bail and pay it off.. Other than having the kit removed and swapping windows and horn.. $750+ in savings is worth 3 days of parts removal.. You should consider your options... A db meter doesn't mean jack if u got the wrong cop... Cali law states that a officer does not need a db meter to cite a modified exhaust, if he thinks it loud enough then it's s violation.. Modified exhaust is a modified exhaust, unless it's stock or oem approved replacement.. Modified is modified..
Old 04-18-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by S2KVee' timestamp='1303192377' post='20481701
I've gotten numerous modified exhaust, no front plate and window tint tickets, not one time they were not correctable.. I went to chp with my stock exhaust and had them sign it off.. Same for window and front plate.
I'm not too sure now about modified exhaust and of they are correctable or not but if they aren't, there should be something about state referee station to sign it off. State reff should be free, atleast it was when I got cited for modified emissions with a turbo kit... All I paid was the $8.25 smog cert fee.
Correctable violations varies between different counties, sf is $25 per violation, meaning 1 ticket with plate and exhaust is $50, other counties should be $10 for the whole ticket.

If anything you should go ahead and install your stock exhaust bring it to either chp or local ref station and have then sign it off, even if it's non correctable, some people r nice enough to help. Then take the ticket to court and plea your case, the judge should be able to change the violation to a correctable violation, with your signatures you shouldn't be paying anything more than $50
very useful information! thanks!
however, state ref is $30 or so from what i've heard.

State ref used to be free for modified exhaust. I called today to set an appt and the lady said it's $108 for the testing. I've confirmed it with another forum as well. Look at post #86 http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-ticket-3.html
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by S2KVee
A db meter doesn't mean jack if u got the wrong cop... Cali law states that a officer does not need a db meter to cite a modified exhaust, if he thinks it loud enough then it's s violation.. Modified exhaust is a modified exhaust, unless it's stock or oem approved replacement.. Modified is modified..
yea i figured that after sleeping on it..

Originally Posted by FromaDB2toanAP1
State ref used to be free for modified exhaust. I called today to set an appt and the lady said it's $108 for the testing. I've confirmed it with another forum as well. Look at post #86 http://zilvia.net/f/south-western-st...-ticket-3.html
Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Dude. I reallythink the cop was really just being a douche bag. I read the BAR laws and regulations. As long as your in compliance with emissions and sound level you should be good.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:39 PM

that's what i'm saying man....... w/e. karma will get back at that guy
Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
that's what i'm saying man....... w/e. karma will get back at that guy
It sure will!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:58 PM

god damn that exhaust is hot.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 PM