California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

modified exhaust ticket

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default modified exhaust ticket

so as some of you already know, i got a modified exhaust ticket and no front plate recently.

long story short, cop claimed my exhaust was 'loud' and gave me a fix it. i did not have a heavy foot that day and it was a 1/4mile drive to the bank around the corner.

question is, how much would that ticket be? i already had a front plate ticket about 2 months ago, but haven't heard of anyone really getting a modified exhaust ticket.

any sort of opinions would be helpful so feel free to chime in =/ other than that, i r pretty sad
Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it a fix it ticket?

all fix it tickets if you get it corrected and signed off by a cop is a $10.00 processing fee, or $14.00 if you pay-online for service convenience =P (atleast for no front-license plates, maybe more depending on what needs to be fixed?)

if not a fix it ticket... then unsure and would not know since being completely stock. good luck.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Your best option is really just going back to stock and paying the court processing fee. It's supposed to be a lot cheaper than outright paying for the ticket. Keep in mind if you get stopped again for the same violation, you end up paying a lot more the next time.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
so as some of you already know, i got a modified exhaust ticket and no front plate recently.long story short, cop claimed my exhaust was 'loud' and gave me a fix it. i did not have a heavy foot that day and it was a 1/4mile drive to the bank around the corner.question is, how much would that ticket be? i already had a front plate ticket about 2 months ago, but haven't heard of anyone really getting a modified exhaust ticket.any sort of opinions would be helpful so feel free to chime in =/ other than that, i r pretty sad
Is your exhaust actually CA street legal (sound wise, <95db)? If so, then find some documentation proving that (ask the manufacturer), then find a sympathetic cop to sign off after proving it.

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
Keep in mind if you get stopped again for the same violation, you end up paying a lot more the next time.
I've heard this is true, but been stopped multiple times for the same exhaust violation in my old car (after getting it legit written off each time) and the fee varied by county, and actually went down, not up. Do you have a link to the law that proves this?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:09 PM

I remember hearing about this amongst friends, but I have no reason to believe it isn't true.

Not a very reliable source, but this is what a quick Google search turned up.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall someone here from the bay was running an exhaust that he got a fix-it ticket for. He brought the exhaust to the BAR & it passed. They then gave him a certificate which he could present to cops. IMO, if you show that to a cop he might just get you for something else next.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
I remember hearing about this amongst friends, but I have no reason to believe it isn't true.

Not a very reliable source, but this is what a quick Google search turned up.
I've definitely heard the same thing among my friends, but never heard one who actually experienced a point on a record, or increased fees/ramifications from multiple citations for the same fix-it. I would assume the state wants to have some way of preventing people from getting a zillion of these.

I'll spend some time searching and post back up if I can find anything. I get so lost in the legal language.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM

was this in sunnyvale?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erratic
was this in sunnyvale?
no, in san jose/campbell =[

he was a total douche! he didn't ask for license and registration, he demanded it!
usually it goes 'license and registration' but he said 'GIVE me your license and registration.' i thought campbell cops were cool, but this guy is a total A$$HOLE! biggest douche cop i've ever dealt with.

i'm not sure if the exhaust is under 95db, but i do know that he has no way of judging that it is over 95db. he clearly said the statement '...your modified exhaust is loud' he got half that statement right. yes, it's a modified exhaust but how would he know it's loud if he didn't even hear it? i saw him speeding 50mph+ behind me, crossing 3 lanes to the right and instantly pulled me over.

as of right now, the only thing i can do is swap out with a stock exhaust and slap on that front plate to get it signed off.. anyone know the fees for the modified exhaust?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM

I thought it was $25 if you get it fixed and signed off before the court date. That's just for administrative fees.

Quick Reply: modified exhaust ticket