California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Missed shift

Old 11-19-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missed shift

I feel like a jackass noob. Flame away.

I was driving home early this morning. While in 3rd at redline i put it into second The good thing is i didnt let the clutch out fast and as soon as i felt it lunge i pushed in the clutch and put it in neutral.

I think the highest the tach got to was high 7k's but i never saw it light up red like when you hit the limiter. How accurate is the tach and does it light up red at 8k when you overrev from a downshift?

Any recommended shops to take it to inspect my retainers?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:10 PM

Does the car act funny? Problems idling?
Old 11-19-2006, 05:26 PM

you over rev and what happen? Do you notice anything different ever since?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't worry id do it all the time your car can safely rev up to 8500

so the redline cuts off power to the car anyways so you can bounce off but don;t make a habit of it.....
Old 11-19-2006, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by rhayward,Nov 19 2006, 07:45 PM
so the redline cuts off power to the car anyways so you can bounce off but don;t make a habit of it.....
There is no protection against mechanical over-rev.

Doing this can damage your valve retainers and it would be a good idea to have them inspected or inspect them yourself just so you know you won't drop a valve some time in the future. There is not likely to be a warning sign of a damaged retainer until it is time for a new engine.

If you really don't think you let the clutch out all the way, you are probably ok. But if you are at redline in 3rd and then let the clutch out in 2nd, that is way more than the head is meant to handle.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Nov 19 2006, 08:06 PM

Doing this can damage your valve retainers and it would be a good idea to have them inspected or inspect them yourself just so you know you won't drop a valve some time in the future. There is not likely to be a warning sign of a damaged retainer until it is time for a new engine.

If you really don't think you let the clutch out all the way, you are probably ok. But if you are at redline in 3rd and then let the clutch out in 2nd, that is way more than the head is meant to handle.
i agree...take it to a shop, best of luck.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Nov 19 2006, 08:06 PM

I just remember looking down at the tach with the clutch out half way in second, feeling the lunge, seeing the tach pretty much at the borderline of flashing with the speedometer showing 73mph.

My only reassurance is that it was 4am so the flashing red light from going over 8k would have been pretty obvious.

I'd check the retainers myself but i dont have any place to work on my car. Can you guys recommend an s2000 proficient mechanic in the bay area with decent rates?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:49 PM

do a compression test.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:10 PM

if ur car drives fine and have no loud clicking noise, You A O K ! i agree do compression test.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ptype,Nov 19 2006, 09:10 PM
if ur car drives fine and have no loud clicking noise, You A O K ! i agree do compression test.
This is incorrect. If he cracked a retainer, he might have no symptoms until he drops a valve one day.

You best bet is to have a shop/dealer check your retainers and make sure there are no cracks and the valves are still fully seated.

Quick Reply: Missed shift