California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

--------Mini Meet--------

Old 02-23-2010 | 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Munki,Feb 23 2010, 01:55 PM
he has this pants that was hemmed too much.. do you think yer mom can fix that? looks like highwater pants when he wears it...
Don't think you can do much to pants that are hemmed to high. Once that material is chopped and gone, there's no way of putting it back without it having a weird funky stitch line.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by lilazngrl4o8,Feb 23 2010, 02:01 PM
Don't think you can do much to pants that are hemmed to high. Once that material is chopped and gone, there's no way of putting it back without it having a weird funky stitch line.
If you still have the original cloth which was cut off, Ive heard of some places that can hem it back without it being too obvious. Dont know the science behind it, but Ive heard of it before.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends how much of the material they fold back. Some of my dress slacks have 2-3 inches of material folded back.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh damn... well.. theres still some material left on the pants...
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Feb 23 2010, 02:20 PM
It depends how much of the material they fold back. Some of my dress slacks have 2-3 inches of material folded back.
Sorry I should have been more clear.

If you're not doing an original hem (cutting off the end part of the jeans, and then re-attaching), then yes you could possibly undo the hem, pull out the material that was folded back and then re-hem. In most cases, dress pants are done that way since the original hem is really just a fold it across and stitch.

When doing jeans though, original hem is basically cutting off the hem... the bottom part of the jeans, then cutting the material, and then stitching the bottom part of the jeans back onto the now shortened jeans. Most do it cause it gives it the original look. Especially if the jeans have fraying on it. Not only that, it looks a little odd if you just cut off the original jean hem, fold and then stitch. It makes the jeans look like trouser pants and the only jean style trouser pants I've ever seen are made for women.

If you did an original hem on jeans and now it's too short, I don't see how you could take the chopped off part (assuming your seamstress gives that back to you.. most don't cause it's practically scrap at that point) and re-attach it to the jeans without it having a stitch mark, and then re-attaching the original hem. It can be done, but it won't look right and you're just betting that no one is going to notice, and maybe they won't from far away, but you'll be able to see it when you get to a certain point. Plus I imagine the pants buckling right where that stitch point is.

I've hemmed all of my jeans and done original hem on all of them so I've seen it before and after. The after looks pretty much like buying a new pair of jeans from the store, except tailored to the exact length that you want it. My seamstress uses the same threading from the original hem and sews it back on with that thread. Pretty bad ass for $7!
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned,Feb 23 2010, 02:17 PM
If you still have the original cloth which was cut off, Ive heard of some places that can hem it back without it being too obvious. Dont know the science behind it, but Ive heard of it before.
For jeans, they probably cut off the hem, take the scrap piece, line it up as best they can, and then stitch it on with a thread that's as close to the color of that section of the pants and they may add something on the inside leg of the pants so that it protects the threading from the inside to prevent it from catching and then ripping out.

You'll be able to see it from the outside, how noticeable depends on how well that seamstress is and if she has a thread that can match the color of the pants. But your pants will be pretty hacked up on the inside.

In terms of dress pants, cause of the material most dress pants are made of, no chance you can stitch that back on without seeing the thread.
Old 02-23-2010 | 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jesus..
all i'm going to say is my grandma does it for some of my clothes
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:09 PM

Kristine knows her hemming! Got it down to a science!
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slightly2ned,Feb 23 2010, 03:09 PM
Kristine knows her hemming!
She knows how to order it. :
Old 02-23-2010 | 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts