California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Megaupload Is banned, owner is in jail

Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megaupload Is banned, owner is in jail

Do you think its fraud to supply free internet storage?
Obviously he wasnt the person who uploaded the songs and games on that website
Should youtube be also banned? Maybe you dont download it but i dont buy song and CD's anymore and listen through youtube, therefore its free.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point about Youtube. They make millions advertising to people who are watching pirated video or listening to pirated music. No one seems to care though?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
Do you think its fraud to supply free internet storage?
Obviously he wasnt the person who uploaded the songs and games on that website
Should youtube be also banned? Maybe you dont download it but i dont buy song and CD's anymore and listen through youtube, therefore its free.
I don't even know where to begin with this one, maybe you want to read a little more on what Kimble was actually charged of -- and maybe who he is, what his past is, etc.
Do that before you read the rest of this post.

It isn't a "fraud" as you would so put it to supply free internet storage. And yes he obviously wasn't the one that uploaded the pirated media, but that isn't what he was charged with. YouTube is a very different company when you compare the two. First you need to understand what the digital millennium copyright act is -- in short it increases the penalties for copyright infringement on the internet (for our example uploading a song). Obviously these sites who manage millions upon millions of uploads an hour even at times can't be responsible for all the content uploaded by its users. Thats where Title II of the DMCA comes into play -- these companies follow a series of guidelines set fourth by the OCILLA that limit the liability to copyright damages -- its known in the industry as "DMCA Safe Harbon". If you follow their procedures, and have certain functionality built in to allow a DMCA claim to take down the infringing content, you're in the clear.

Follow me so far? Summary is -- you can upload anything so long as you follow procedure and let DMCA notices take down content if it is found to be infringing. Then you're in the clear.

Its important to know at this point, that all of the DMCA stuff I've mentioned before is a CIVIL matter, and not a CRIMINAL matter, meaning you can't be brought to jail for this, you can just get sued to hell

However, Kimble (founder of MegaUpload) wasn't charged with infringing content -- in fact he did follow all the provisions of the DMCA Safe Harbor to protect himself and his company and the users. However, what was charged to him was that he was CONSPIRING with users to circumvent the DMCA policies. And unfortunately for him, when you conspire to circumvent the DMCA it suddenly becomes a CRIMINAL matter. Hence, the jail-time.

I personally think its going to be a really hard battle to try and prove the conspiring portion of this, so I don't think it'll stick, but we'll see. As for the man himself, he's not exactly an angel... he hacked into PBX (phone systems) machines in his past, was convicted of credit card embezzlement, computer fraud, stolen goods, insider trading, starting hedge funds without a license. On a personal level, he's a self-righteous prick who flaunts everything he has.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:01 AM

Feel free to correct me on any of my take on that, on a factual level anyways -- I don't claim to know everything about the case.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM

I know his charges. When you get audited and convicted, they put charges of stupid stuff like you ate unhealthy food (exaggerating) so let's talk about mega upload is being closed down. YouTube used to let you download as well, then charges has to be made for it too, for example I killed a person 5 years ago, if I get caught I will get charged today right. So mega upload is a basic Internet storage place just like YouTube is being limited for videos and songs.

My main point wasnt what he was or wasn't charged for. Basically main concern is here mega upload and the damages to the publishers. Forget about his past, he was already in jail for those. You cant judge people for same thing every time lol
Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 PM

Dude Kaan, why did I even bother to type all that out to explain it to you. SMH
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 PM

Haha Haha
Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM

you tell me.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Because deep pockets run the country. Copyright infringement, get 20 years. Rape and kill a woman, get 5 years.

Quick Reply: Megaupload Is banned, owner is in jail