California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Lowered Seat Mod questions

Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Khunnie
Originally Posted by eremoy' timestamp='1318100363' post='21052099
I'm about 6'2" myself and I too have problems seeing lights, roof getting in the way on certain turns, etc. I lowered mine myself and at first I really liked sitting lower, but now I am beginning to hate the way it is. Lowering the pan moves the lumbar support up higher which makes the seat uncomfortable in general imo, especially on longer drives. I don't know if there is a way to lower the back of the seat with the bottom pan, that might make it better if you can. I also cut some foam out of mine and replaced it with lower density foam to lower it even more. That really cut down on the firmness of the seat and made it even more unbearable for me to sit in (plus it streatches out the leather a little eventually). Everytime I ride in the passenger seat now I really miss the way it sits. I am probably going to buy a new pan soon and revert back to the OEM position untill I can afford a set of Recaros or something that sits lower. Have you sat in a modified seat before? If you haven't, I would to see if you like it before you spend money lowering it. Some like it, some don't.
How low were you able to go with this mod? I was wondering if I wanted to keep the seats firmness, can I just lower the seats pan? But how low will that get me? What do you think of it nowadays? does it still bother you or did you get used to it? Any back problems with the lumbar change?

It's a little hard to say exactly, but I'd estimate between 1" - 1.25". It's not much, and i'm pretty sure 1.5" is about the lowest you can go with this mod. Lowering the pan doesn't actually lower it all that much, its cutting the foam that really does it. I've gotten kind of used to it BUT I always finding myself re-adjusting because I tend to slide a little forward for some reason. Oh yea and my @ss gets pretty tired and falls asleep a lot.

I'm almost sure I ruined the support of my seat from the way I removed the foam;

Some people cut foam out of the top of the cushion, but I thought it made the seat look like crap since the leather caves in. So what I did was cut out the entire "dimple" out of the bottom section of the cushion. Basically the part that goes into the seat pan's depression. Then I replaced that section with some foam from an old couch. So you might have better luck removing foam from the top but I couldn't say because I haven't sat in any other "modded" seats.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eremoy
Originally Posted by Khunnie' timestamp='1320197979' post='21120601
[quote name='eremoy' timestamp='1318100363' post='21052099']
I'm about 6'2" myself and I too have problems seeing lights, roof getting in the way on certain turns, etc. I lowered mine myself and at first I really liked sitting lower, but now I am beginning to hate the way it is. Lowering the pan moves the lumbar support up higher which makes the seat uncomfortable in general imo, especially on longer drives. I don't know if there is a way to lower the back of the seat with the bottom pan, that might make it better if you can. I also cut some foam out of mine and replaced it with lower density foam to lower it even more. That really cut down on the firmness of the seat and made it even more unbearable for me to sit in (plus it streatches out the leather a little eventually). Everytime I ride in the passenger seat now I really miss the way it sits. I am probably going to buy a new pan soon and revert back to the OEM position untill I can afford a set of Recaros or something that sits lower. Have you sat in a modified seat before? If you haven't, I would to see if you like it before you spend money lowering it. Some like it, some don't.
How low were you able to go with this mod? I was wondering if I wanted to keep the seats firmness, can I just lower the seats pan? But how low will that get me? What do you think of it nowadays? does it still bother you or did you get used to it? Any back problems with the lumbar change?

It's a little hard to say exactly, but I'd estimate between 1" - 1.25". It's not much, and i'm pretty sure 1.5" is about the lowest you can go with this mod. Lowering the pan doesn't actually lower it all that much, its cutting the foam that really does it. I've gotten kind of used to it BUT I always finding myself re-adjusting because I tend to slide a little forward for some reason. Oh yea and my @ss gets pretty tired and falls asleep a lot.

I'm almost sure I ruined the support of my seat from the way I removed the foam;

Some people cut foam out of the top of the cushion, but I thought it made the seat look like crap since the leather caves in. So what I did was cut out the entire "dimple" out of the bottom section of the cushion. Basically the part that goes into the seat pan's depression. Then I replaced that section with some foam from an old couch. So you might have better luck removing foam from the top but I couldn't say because I haven't sat in any other "modded" seats.
[/quote]

Ohh ok thanks. So if I am planning on getting this professionally done, they would make it so that they remove the foam from the top part of the seat?

Sorry for all the questions. I just need to make sure since I go on long commutes often but I have trouble with the windshield being so low.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that might be your better bet. But once again I've never sat in one that has been cut from the top. See if the shop you're going to has any advice. I'm sure they've done a bunch of these and probably know how they sit.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

to maintain the value of your car, i would recommend either the bys rail or an lower aftermarket seat. you can sell both and not lose much money.

i'm 5'10" and couldn't stand the lack of visibility from a high seat. it was especially lame in Boston where the intersections are really small so if you were stopped, you could never see stop lights.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi
to maintain the value of your car, i would recommend either the bys rail or an lower aftermarket seat. you can sell both and not lose much money.

i'm 5'10" and couldn't stand the lack of visibility from a high seat. it was especially lame in Boston where the intersections are really small so if you were stopped, you could never see stop lights.

I know it would maintain the value of the car but I'm not planning on selling this car at all. I would like to get a bys rail or a lower aftermarket seat but at this point it costs too much for me to get either option. I got a quote from a place that does it and they're charging me 200 for the job. I'm just having a lot of trouble with seeing in the car and back issues; for now hopefully this mod will do. Did you get the bys rail? or an aftermarket seat? - Erik