California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Lowered Seat Mod questions

Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered Seat Mod questions

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you know of a shop around the San Jose area preferably that can lower my 2006 stock driver seat for a reasonable price. I'm about 6'1 and I'm having a hard time seeing stop lights and such. I've had this car for about a few months and this is the only thing that always bothers me. I've searched the forums, some use bys seat rails but it seems that that company is the only one that offers lowered rails for oem seats. I read through the diy of lowering it but I want to have the peace of mind that it's done right. So if any of you can help me I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

I just re edited this thread because I found a shop but I've been reading through threads and it's about 50/50 on the positive and negatives on lowering the seats. Can anyone tell me about how they feel about their lowered seat after a while of having it? Lumbar, comfort etc. Thanks - Erik
Old 10-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm about 6'2" myself and I too have problems seeing lights, roof getting in the way on certain turns, etc. I lowered mine myself and at first I really liked sitting lower, but now I am beginning to hate the way it is. Lowering the pan moves the lumbar support up higher which makes the seat uncomfortable in general imo, especially on longer drives. I don't know if there is a way to lower the back of the seat with the bottom pan, that might make it better if you can. I also cut some foam out of mine and replaced it with lower density foam to lower it even more. That really cut down on the firmness of the seat and made it even more unbearable for me to sit in (plus it streatches out the leather a little eventually). Everytime I ride in the passenger seat now I really miss the way it sits. I am probably going to buy a new pan soon and revert back to the OEM position untill I can afford a set of Recaros or something that sits lower. Have you sat in a modified seat before? If you haven't, I would to see if you like it before you spend money lowering it. Some like it, some don't.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, I'd like to try to sit on your car. Been thinking of ding the mod. You still have my number? Call me when you can.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM

don't the BYS seat rails retain the lumbar support position?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:49 PM

So, I'm most likely better off just saving and ordering a bys seat rail?
Old 10-09-2011, 08:03 PM

I've heard the bys seat rail will still cause the lumbard to move to a different position also.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've used all of these options so I'll chime in (plus I'm 6'2)

If you want to retain your OEM seats, BYS rails work by lowering the bottom seat cushion about 1.5" lower on the rear end so yes you do sit lower. Basically the top of the seat does NOT move so you just have a slightly bigger gap between the upper and lower cushion on the back edge. I did NOT find this adequate for myself so for those of you who want more, go aftermarket seats.

My recommendation for aftermarket are these depending on your budget:

a) Bride Stradia Sport with Bride L/R rails if you want a reclineable bucket

b) Recaro Pole Position with Buddy Club rail if you want a bucket

I have both setups so you are welcome to catch me at a local meet if you want to see what it feels like

rick
Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM

I am 6'2 I hammered my pan, drilled new holes for the front mounting position and cut foam out. it worked well, but i too want to go lower and am looking into getting a recaro pole position. just having a hard time finding one with red leather =p I want it to match my passenger oem seat. but if anyone wants to feel my seat before you go and cut up your own.i would gladly be willing to let you do so!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by i2ice
I am 6'2 I hammered my pan, drilled new holes for the front mounting position and cut foam out. it worked well, but i too want to go lower and am looking into getting a recaro pole position. just having a hard time finding one with red leather =p I want it to match my passenger oem seat. but if anyone wants to feel my seat before you go and cut up your own.i would gladly be willing to let you do so!
after driving for a while with the lowered seats, did you find any differences in the seating comfort? like say if I normally have to drive for a long commute everyday, would I notice any uncomfort? At this point, bending over my back to look at lights and such is becoming a problem especially for my back.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by eremoy
I'm about 6'2" myself and I too have problems seeing lights, roof getting in the way on certain turns, etc. I lowered mine myself and at first I really liked sitting lower, but now I am beginning to hate the way it is. Lowering the pan moves the lumbar support up higher which makes the seat uncomfortable in general imo, especially on longer drives. I don't know if there is a way to lower the back of the seat with the bottom pan, that might make it better if you can. I also cut some foam out of mine and replaced it with lower density foam to lower it even more. That really cut down on the firmness of the seat and made it even more unbearable for me to sit in (plus it streatches out the leather a little eventually). Everytime I ride in the passenger seat now I really miss the way it sits. I am probably going to buy a new pan soon and revert back to the OEM position untill I can afford a set of Recaros or something that sits lower. Have you sat in a modified seat before? If you haven't, I would to see if you like it before you spend money lowering it. Some like it, some don't.
How low were you able to go with this mod? I was wondering if I wanted to keep the seats firmness, can I just lower the seats pan? But how low will that get me? What do you think of it nowadays? does it still bother you or did you get used to it? Any back problems with the lumbar change?

Quick Reply: Lowered Seat Mod questions