California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Looking to tune InlinePro Stage 1 Turbo kit

Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for your detailed response. your explanation pretty much sums up what others were saying in the turbo section. just like you had mentioned, this would've been nice to know back in 2011-2013. I think i wouldve pursued it more, but other things took priority at the time. There are no hard feelings, and i appreciate the effort you have made to respond.

Question: I had AEM EMS when you tuned the car. (former car owner bought it from you) Does that mean you could have made a smoother tune at that time?
Totally understand. No hard feelings

Yes, it was a long time ago. I've forgotten it was running on AEM, apologies. I think I remember who you purchased it from. Did you pick up the turbo kit from him as well? If so, I have more files from tuning that car than I have for yours. To answer your question, yes given the setup and conditions, what you see there was as smooth as I could get it and let you leave with. Also something to note is that we do many back to back runs simulating what a car would do in a race and building heat. If we watered down the IC and intake manifold, the dyno could possibly plot a smoother curve. At the end of the day, when it comes to tuning, one has to think of it this way: Honda didn't put 1,5,10,20 hrs into tuning the factory ECU, they spent a lot more with a lot more hands on deck. They changed the tune (to my knowledge) twice during the AP1 manufacturing run and twice during the AP2 run. The stock S2k ecu has an amazing tune out of the box. Can it be improved on by aftermarket tuners? Yes. So there's always room for improvement. Humidity, elevation changes, stop and go traffic, drafting behind cars and starting up the car in Tahoe in December are peanut details within the spectrum situations an automobile is subjected to. Most of the time we're given a single opportunity at a single location with a single operator to make everything happen..... Continuous Improvement.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this car have a cat? It's hard to tell what's really going on without the AFRs, but if I had to guess, I'd say you're getting really rich(maybe 10s) at the dip at 6k.

Personally, I would want to tune a car like a turbo S2000 myself. I wouldn't want to go any distance in that car without someone on hand who knows exactly what's up with the car. One easy way to get started would be to find someone with the same EMS, injector size, and a similar sized turbo and use their tune as a base.