California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Looking to tune InlinePro Stage 1 Turbo kit

Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by guamie' timestamp='1367868195' post='22523043
[quote name='iDashX' timestamp='1367865677' post='22522897']
Blacktrax would be a great tuner if ur in the south bay. They are located milpitas/sj north border

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
I was previously tuned by blacktrax on my old greddy kit. I wasn't too impressed, so I want to try someone else.
Sorry, but you had a Greddy kit. No one can do much with that kit.

I won't personally hesitate to have Blacktrax tune my turbo, when and if I ever get it.
[/quote]

LOL. it has NOTHING to do with it being a greddy kit. i'm pretty sure i wasn't supposed to LOSE 30hp/tq at/near 6000RPM. The graph speaks for itself. So sorry, it wasn't the greddy kit. At first, i thought it was my car's fault, but i did a compression check,checked for boost leaks, etc. Everything checked out fine. Showed my graph in the turbo section, and everyone just laughed.

Personally, i wouldn't go back to blacktrax. I made this thread to find another tuner.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guamie
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1367870077' post='22523162
[quote name='guamie' timestamp='1367868195' post='22523043']
[quote name='iDashX' timestamp='1367865677' post='22522897']
Blacktrax would be a great tuner if ur in the south bay. They are located milpitas/sj north border

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
I was previously tuned by blacktrax on my old greddy kit. I wasn't too impressed, so I want to try someone else.
Sorry, but you had a Greddy kit. No one can do much with that kit.

I won't personally hesitate to have Blacktrax tune my turbo, when and if I ever get it.
[/quote]

LOL. it has NOTHING to do with it being a greddy kit. i'm pretty sure i wasn't supposed to LOSE 30hp/tq at/near 6000RPM. The graph speaks for itself. So sorry, it wasn't the greddy kit. At first, i thought it was my car's fault, but i did a compression check,checked for boost leaks, etc. Everything checked out fine. Showed my graph in the turbo section, and everyone just laughed.

Personally, i wouldn't go back to blacktrax. I made this thread to find another tuner.

[/quote]

I'm gonna show this graph on other forums and get some unbiased feedback.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschooljdm
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1367870270' post='22523170
[quote name='oldschooljdm' timestamp='1367868501' post='22523068']
Just rent a trailer and make a weekend out of it
Easy to say, but if you have a lowered S2000, getting it on a rental trailer can be a serious PITA. That also assumes you have something to tow that trailer all the day down to Socal with and have experience doing so.
It was just a suggestion, If by some reason you took offense to this statement then by all means I apologize. I just assumed that if a person was building a turbo car they would want the BEST for their CAR and not the BEST for a certain BUSINESS. If we can NOT make suggestions why is this post even open still?
[/quote]
I surely didn't take it as an offense, I'm just pointing out the realities of your recommendation. I'm not sure why you are getting so bothered.

The reality of pretty much all turbo builds is everyone wants the best, but very few can afford the best. That means living within a budget. Spending an additional $500 just to get your car down to LA might not be in the books.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by guamie

I don't pretend to know the specifics of your build or what problems you ran into, but there are plenty of documented issues out there with people having tuning issues with the Greddy kit, hence why I said that.

If you had already decided you weren't interested in Blacktrax, then perhaps you should have stated that initially and saved some of us the time. The reply can only be as good as the question being asked .

If you want to go up to Sac, there is Driving Ambition. Shad used to be the tuner for Comptech before they went out of business.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by oldschooljdm
I'm sure if you do, you will need to provide more then just a dyno chart to get any real feedback.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschooljdm' timestamp='1367872172' post='22523314
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1367870270' post='22523170']
[quote name='oldschooljdm' timestamp='1367868501' post='22523068']
Just rent a trailer and make a weekend out of it
Easy to say, but if you have a lowered S2000, getting it on a rental trailer can be a serious PITA. That also assumes you have something to tow that trailer all the day down to Socal with and have experience doing so.
It was just a suggestion, If by some reason you took offense to this statement then by all means I apologize. I just assumed that if a person was building a turbo car they would want the BEST for their CAR and not the BEST for a certain BUSINESS. If we can NOT make suggestions why is this post even open still?
[/quote]
I surely didn't take it as an offense, I'm just pointing out the realities of your recommendation. I'm not sure why you are getting so bothered.

The reality of pretty much all turbo builds is everyone wants the best, but very few can afford the best. That means living within a budget. Spending an additional $500 just to get your car down to LA might not be in the books.
[/quote]

I am not getting bothered, I have seen that if anyone on this regional section recommends anything besides Blacktrax for anything the commenter is treated with bias. In no way am I saying there is anything wrong with Blacktrax, I have heard mixed reviews and I have no personal dealings with them, however I know Guamie and I know first hand the issues he has dealt with when it comes to his build because of his previous tune. I have seen the frustrations first hand and I have seen that Dyno Graph in person. It is also my understanding that an extra $500 to spend on a proper tune that will be reliable with numbers the owner wants is a cheap price to pay in the long run. I know that for some people money for builds is not easy to come by, I have been there first hand. But from my own personal experience sometimes you have to pay what needs to be paid to save you more money and heartache later on down the road. If you do not agree with this logic then we can agree to disagree. No hurt feelings on this end whatsoever, just stating my own opinion.

Originally Posted by oldschooljdm' timestamp='1367873834' post='22523397
I'm sure if you do, you will need to provide more then just a dyno chart to get any real feedback.
I will compile as much pertinent information as I can.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The problem with Jei is he always enables the Fast-N-Furries-R-Us Tony the Tiger Grrrrreedy MegaPower Torque Invertor with Double Spooled Spec-Berries too soon, junior! He granny shifts Gangnum Style and all the Boba Fetts bottleneck in the Helmholtz chamber!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

So there's like 6 pulls on that graph and two show a drop at 6k, was this before or after tuning or while tuning?

Here's how I see tuning, you can always take your car in and make it better whether it's the same person or a different person.

Did you tell Jei you weren't happy with the tune?

How many tuning sessions did you do?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by guamie' timestamp='1367873284' post='22523361

I don't pretend to know the specifics of your build or what problems you ran into, but there are plenty of documented issues out there with people having tuning issues with the Greddy kit, hence why I said that.

If you had already decided you weren't interested in Blacktrax, then perhaps you should have stated that initially and saved some of us the time. The reply can only be as good as the question being asked .

If you want to go up to Sac, there is Driving Ambition. Shad used to be the tuner for Comptech before they went out of business.

And with those tuning issues, there have been many solutions. I started a thread in the turbo section and one of the solutions was to raise the vtec engagement. Sadly, I was not able to test that solution, but your statement "No one can do much with that kit" just made it seem that there were NO greddy kit owners with a good tune.

Judging from all the responses thus far, i'm pretty sure i still would've "wasted" peoples time if i had stated that i didn't want to go to blacktrax. People would be asking "Whats wrong with them?" since everyone seems to recommend them on this forum. I actually thought that not mentioning them would've saved time. I'm just here to find different alternatives.

Lastly, Thank you for your recommendation of Driving Ambition. Another member had recommended them as well.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by macr88
So there's like 6 pulls on that graph and two show a drop at 6k, was this before or after tuning or while tuning?

Here's how I see tuning, you can always take your car in and make it better whether it's the same person or a different person.

Did you tell Jei you weren't happy with the tune?

How many tuning sessions did you do?

I think i'm going blind, but i see all 6 pulls drop around 6k. This graph was given to me after the tuning session.

Yes, i told Jei i wasn't happy with the tune. His recommendations were to run a bigger exhaust and run more boost. I didn't understand how this was a possible solution when i had seen others with a similar setup that didn't lose hp.

I'm not gonna sit here and go back and forth with this subject anymore. I posted on here hoping to find someone with a similar setup and a tuner for that setup.

Quick Reply: Looking to tune InlinePro Stage 1 Turbo kit