California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Looking for a S2000

Old 08-21-2001, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a S2000

I'm looking to make the move and buy an S2000. I'm saying farewell to the good ol' mr2.

What I was wondering is where would be a good place in California to buy an S2000. From what I hear it's not wise to buy in the Bay Area. I'm guessing that the dealerships in the Bay Area jack up the prices up and beyond the MSRP.

Another thing I'm wondering is how long are the S2000 going to be produced?

The #4 cylinder problem that I see some experiencing...is that with a specific year or is this a coin toss with what you buy?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith Lee
Old 08-21-2001, 01:23 PM

mr. keith. that is probably the single most important and monumentous decision you'll ever make in your entire life. Fortunately, you had chosen wisely. About a year ago, it was undheard of to find an S2000 for MSRP anywhere in CA. These days, especially since the 2002's are coming out and there are more s2000's available in general, your chances of finding a s2000 for MSRP is going to be pretty good. I've heard that buying at the end of the month is even better because dealers have to get rid of that month's inventory (someone confirm this?). YOu can also try those dealers out in the middle of nowhere like Lodi, Modesto, etc. I bought mine in December 2000 and flew up to Eugene, Oregon to get it because that was the best price I could find. I don't think people need to do this anymore.

I think the #4 cylinder failure problem has subsided now. I haven't heard about it in a while. I wouldn't worry too much about it anymore. And as for production years, I think its safe to say that Honda is going to continue production for a while.

GOOD LUCK
Old 08-21-2001, 03:49 PM

I've heard that Priceline has done very well for several owners. They asked for MSRP and got responses quickly. Do a search in the threads using "priceline" and I think you'll find more tips. I, like Redleader, got mine in ORegon as well. It was easier and cheaper back in 1999, but now I am sure you can work a deal locally. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2001, 05:02 PM

Keith, I sent you an e-mail, check your mail.
Old 08-21-2001, 08:24 PM

I bought mine last labor day weekend... just at the end of the month, and they got the 2001s in later that week. I got mine from Manly Honda in Santa Rosa. I got te car on a whim before I knew about the board and paid a little over MSRP, but still a great deal.

But, the salesman, Fred "Derf" was EXCELLENT. They didn't try to force any options, they just wanted to sell me a car and make us both happy. Derf even took me on a 1 hour test drive...

I'd difinitely give them a call...

Otherwise, concord and Walnut Creek are still being arrogant about their prices, not sure about the other areas personally... there is a post where people mentioned where they got theirs if they paid MSRP.

Good Luck, we'll save some space for you at the next group run!
Old 08-21-2001, 08:45 PM

Right now I'm not in any rush to buy the car. I really want to do it right this time.

When I bought my mr2 I rush things and, I ended up paying for it in the end.

What does everyone think about waiting till the 2002 model role on out? When will these be available?

Thanks for all your help,

Keith Lee

I can't hardly wait to join the crew.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:38 PM

if i were you i'd definitely wait for the 2002's. they should be out soon. years half over. don't think the price should go up to much
Old 08-22-2001, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by keithlee21
What does everyone think about waiting till the 2002 model role on out?
Waiting is good. But it all depends on what your intentions are: If you really want a MY2001 car but want to get a better price once the MY2002 cars are out, then by all means wait for it. But there is also a chance that by that time, there are no more 2001 cars left for you to bargain over.

If you are considering a 2002 car because of the changes (and the fact that it is a new model year), then you will have to wait. But realize that buying a new model early in the year also means there is much less room for price negotiation as the demand will be high.

Personally I found the best time to buy a new car (once I know exactly what I wanted, and I tend to keep my cars a long time) is to buy it just before the new models come out, near the end of the month.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:33 PM

I used AutoBytel to search for a dealer around who had one in stock or was about to get some. They wrote me back and told me of the dealership in Modesto and they had exactly what I was looking for. The dealership said they would give me a discount as part of the service of being associated with AutoBytel. So, you can maybe try that route. Stay away from the Bay Area cuz the dealerships I ran across there all had greed in their eyes and the stories of why they had inflated prices was quite humerous. Plus if you find out outside the Bay Area the sales taxes will be cheaper too.
I agree, the closer to the end of the season (which is right now) is perfect for getting a 2001.