California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

The legend of the rental car bandit is.. OVER!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes unfortunately I don't plan on doing a lot of oil changes myself as I can't easily dispose of the old oil and have the proper work space to do it. I love doing the maintenance on my car, but all good if I can have a trustworthy person as well.

I appreciate the advice, but the one thing I don't like about those valves is that they are much more likely to keep bits of old oil in the pan compared to the good ol' drain bolt technology. It's like a water bottle with the pop-top valve vs. a normal cap, less area to allow the oil to escape, surface tension and all that, and oil is much more prone to not draining out than water. And something sticking out from the oil pan further, even though the plug is on the side, makes me that much more likely to decapitate a squirrel or something, and I am a big supporter of squirrels. Plus the legendary Billman250 recommends against it.

Casey dumped oil because of a giant boulder that would have made quick work of any shielding, x-brace, etc. A simple off at a track could have the same results unfortunately. (The red curbs at Laguna are appropriately sized for some oil pan rape.) It really had nothing to do with any additional parts on the car, and more to do with the giant boulder.

I was actually thinking of picking up some Spoon magnetic drain plugs, they are essentially just taking the differential magnetic drain plug idea and applying it to other points of the car, no real downsides, and more likely to get all the bad bits of the oil and debris out. I have heard of a few instances of some brands drain plugs magnets snapping off (passwordjdm), but have never found anyone having issues with the Spoon plugs for engine and transmission.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM

I shared this in the other thread but it is more appropriate in this local thread, Yesterday morning I used my cyborg eye to film a nice calm drive down the crazy steep road in Golden Gate Recreational Area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEtPP1WbUg

I have another video from Shoreline Hwy (1) a bit farther north too that I plan on posting up.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1349715536' post='22067041
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1349713800' post='22066962']
You should buy the oil valve for quick and easy oil changes. Forget what it's called.
I'm going to advise against the oil drain valve. That one in a million chance that it can fail or be subject to impact is the reason why.
You're the only person to ever have a problem and your x-brace was likely the reason you dumped your oil on the road after hitting the standing rock.

When off roading a lowered car I might advise a metal shield too. Oil pressure gauge. Jack stand. Extra full sized tire. I mean the list could go on.
[/quote]
You should find a way to type a reply without editing it. Get your thoughts in order then compose them once, the first time.

As Andrew said what happened to me could easily happen at a track from a curb or a simple off. Do you really want to risk that? It's one thing to risk scraping your car but to directly impact the oil drain plug area isn't an area I want to put any increase in the likelihood of impact.

Andrew don't get it. Believe me.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

oh you two..
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1349716044' post='22067070
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1349715536' post='22067041']
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1349713800' post='22066962']
You should buy the oil valve for quick and easy oil changes. Forget what it's called.
I'm going to advise against the oil drain valve. That one in a million chance that it can fail or be subject to impact is the reason why.
You're the only person to ever have a problem and your x-brace was likely the reason you dumped your oil on the road after hitting the standing rock.

When off roading a lowered car I might advise a metal shield too. Oil pressure gauge. Jack stand. Extra full sized tire. I mean the list could go on.
[/quote]
You should find a way to type a reply without editing it. Get your thoughts in order then compose them once, the first time.

As Andrew said what happened to me could easily happen at a track from a curb or a simple off. Do you really want to risk that? It's one thing to risk scraping your car but to directly impact the oil drain plug area isn't an area I want to put any increase in the likelihood of impact.

Andrew don't get it. Believe me.
[/quote]
Yes dear
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to drive with you again this weekend. It's refreshing to roll with a DRIVER!

This post has been edited and approved by DR BROD.