California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Laguna Seca Thurs Nov 2

Old 10-14-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vezna31,Oct 10 2006, 02:10 PM
Anyone ever here the phrase "play big or stay at home"? Well, Leadfoot Adventures is taking the Laguna Seca date on our own.
Uhh . . . Vinny . . . what do you mean you guys took the event on your own? Last I heard T.E.A.M. was helping. Anyway, you must have posted that one before Perry told you we were in on the deal, lol.

Anyway, you all should check out the drivers list: http://www.onemain.com/~bonster/laguna.html Even if you aren't going, the list is impressive enough that you'll wanna take a peak just out of curiosity.

BW
Old 10-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by MrChoi,Oct 14 2006, 02:16 PM
really? dang i think its overpriced.
Laguna events with NASA are cheap because the racers pay for a large portion of the event. I've never raced at Laguna, but I have raced with NASA at Sears Point, Thunderhill, and Reno-Fernley. I pay about $300 for a weekend of racing -- but I only get a 20 minute warmup, a 25 minute qualify, and between 35-45 minutes of racing. And they throw several race classes together (because some classes are not heavily populated), which can be frustrating. I have also instructed with NASA. I noticed that the HPDE groups on race weekends don't get as much time as a lot of other organizations.

Another reason why large groups like NASA can afford lower prices is that they do a TON of events each year, so they can afford to buy their own insurance policy, they hire their own independant crew of flaggers, fire truck, pre-grid, and ambulance personnel. Those items alone cost an average organizer about $5000!

So while I'll still give a thumbs-up for NASA, I wouldn't be so quick to give a thumbs down for Leadfoot and other smaller groups. And by comparison to many other small groups, Leadfoot *is* in fact charging quite a bit less. In fact, the only group even close to that price is still twenty bucks more.

IMHO, YMMV . . .

BW
Old 10-14-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster,Oct 14 2006, 05:11 PM
Laguna events with NASA are cheap because the racers pay for a large portion of the event.
NASA doesn't race at Laguna BTW. NASA events at Laguna are HPDE only events.

Small organization like Trackmasters, Speedventure, etc. are good for those that want the best bang for the buck.

I run with NASA because I usually go for the whole weekend, not just one day. I like the atmosphere. I enjoy watching the races when I'm there. The quality and quantity of the safety crew is also a big deal to me. As you said, other organizations just can't compete with that because of their size.

Once again, good price.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 AM

I like NASA events, too Voodoo. I especially like to watch Jerry (K) get bombed when we do the BBQs. Lol. I was not aware that NASA didn't do races at Laguna. Is this a recent development? I could have swore Laguna was on our race schedule at least last year.

I have heard things about the Speed Ventures events that have kept me from attending or instructing for them. Some folks have told me that they tend to overbook the event, and that they charge extra for novice drivers who need instructors. I also heard that at a Spring Mountain event, there was only one instructor even though they had about a dozen novice drivers? Is all this true???

Track Masters is fun, though. Just watch out for that crazy Jeff Lyon guy, lol. Naturally, I like T.E.A.M. Racing events the best, but I am a little biased there. A very close second to our events would be Unlimited Laps. Hunpin really cares about his drivers and their safety. Leadfoot is pretty much just starting out, but it looks like they are off to a great start from the events I've instructed at. But you know what? A very fast Evo buddy of mine once said something like, "No one track organizer is going to make everybody happy." I think he hit the nail on the head with that one.

BW
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 AM

[QUOTE=Bonster,Oct 15 2006, 07:39 AM] A very fast Evo buddy of mine once said something like, "No one track organizer is going to make everybody happy."
Old 10-16-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Oct 14 2006, 09:43 PM
The quality and quantity of the safety crew is also a big deal to me.
they sure saved me! kudos to their crew! nicest by far in my experience

bonster: speedventures, they do charge an extra $20 for an instructor and i too have heard that there are instances when they've become outweighed by novices per instructor. because of customer commentary, its become a turnoff, so much that their next event at Laguna Seca is not longer attractive.. wish it wasnt so, would love to go but safety again, is the most important thing. not so much that a babysitter is required, but, how in control of the situation are they?

strangest thing is this. people pre-register should = accurate headcount/run group assignment correct? also, even if instructors were all volunteers (1, where does the money go? food? drink? provisions to the drivers?) and 2, shouldn't they ensure that there are enough instructors? esp if they're being PrePaid?

just never had that issue with NASA again, many to the norcal group.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj Elixur,Oct 16 2006, 10:39 AM
that wouldn't happen to be Bongiovanni would it?

anyone going to t-hill on the 26th?
I plan on going.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=424590
Old 10-16-2006, 11:06 AM

k.. will hope too see you there
Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Banned

I'm still waiting to hear from back from the hotel for details, but we should know by tomorrow what the rate will be.

So far in less than a week of open registration and we are more than half filled!!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dj Elixur,Oct 16 2006, 09:39 AM

anyone going to t-hill on the 26th?

***Nah, it's a guy named Tam Luu. He's got a red and white race-prepared Evo 8 with a Canadian flag on it (though, I don't think he's from Canada). He's amazingly fast in that thing. I keep telling him it's time to get a racing license.

BW

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca Thurs Nov 2