California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Laguna Seca - CityTech Track Day 2013/02/03

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Laguna Seca - CityTech Track Day 2013/02/03

I went to the CityTech hosted track day at Laguna Seca on Superbowl Sunday. (hockey?) This is what I learned:

1. It is often damp for the first session or two!

2. Laguna is hard on brakes!

3. Turn 5 is fun.

4. Turn 5 is more fun like this.

5. The corkscrew is fun when you really nail your braking point and turn in!

6. The corkscrew is FUN when you don't nail your braking point and you can't turn in when the track is still damp!

(For the record, just like in Gran Turismo, this line is slower.)

6. The Qstarz lap timer and data logger is fantastic! The best I managed for the day in my S2000 (completely stock, with Project µ HC+800 brake pads) was a 1:49.970, but should be able to manage 1:46-1:48 range if I can link up all my best sectors in a session. (Normally the screen bg would be green instead of red but in this session I accidentally started recording data right before leaving the pits and crossing the line, so my best recorded lap that session on the timer was 5 seconds.) As I go to the track more, I will definitely be purchasing one of these (they are available to rent at any CItyTech event).

7. Go to Laguna Seca!

(photo by my good friend Alexey Orlov)

More photos and video coming soon! Anyone else that attended feel free to post them up too. I will be posting my paddock photos of other cars here.

Check out my more complete write up in my build thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/983...t__p__22315388
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the GT line in the corkscrew!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Lol that looked like fun. Laguna Seca is an awesome track. Hope to run with you next time over there.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good time, can't wait to see the videos. I'm surprised tech didn't care about your rear-view mirror mascot. That thing would annoy the hell out of me!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't hit the bumps on the cork screw. You can really damage something as they are more like pot holes

I hit it last time and cause my alignment to go off. The rest of the day the rear was all over the place

Will we see you this weekend at thunder hill?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by boyguan
Don't hit the bumps on the cork screw. You can really damage something as they are more like pot holes

I hit it last time and cause my alignment to go off. The rest of the day the rear was all over the place

Will we see you this weekend at thunder hill?
Yeah there are certain parts to the right of the curb that are pretty rough, it was sort of a day of experimenting for me though. I have a lot of time to gain by making most out of my exit on the corkscrew, making better use of the left side of the track on exit. Turn 7-9 sequence is so much fun though, lots of time to be gained there by using all of the track.

I can't afford to go to the track back to back unfortunately. I will definitely be back to Thunderhill and Laguna sometime this year though.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chugs
Looks like a good time, can't wait to see the videos. I'm surprised tech didn't care about your rear-view mirror mascot. That thing would annoy the hell out of me!
Lol. The wonder of "self-tech". I'm guessing the mascot was driver approved because it is being used as a G force meter. It would annoy me also.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by Chugs' timestamp='1360090411' post='22316117
Lol. The wonder of "self-tech". I'm guessing the mascot was driver approved because it is being used as a G force meter. It would annoy me also.
Yeah I don't think it could be much of a safety concern, if it flew off some how and hit me I think I would only be more comfortable. Like a mini pillow hitting me in the head. I never once even notice it while driving really, and it is actually a really good reference when watching videos of my runs to see how I am braking and if I could smooth things out a bit. When really driving at the limit smoothly, it is amazing how well he transitions from side to side and forward and back under braking and acceleration. If I added a few grams to him it would work even better I think Plus I just don't have the heart to not let him ride passenger after all we have been through over the years.

Even when looking at #3 and #4 photos, you can see I am pulling a few extra ASIMOs through there on #4. I could only do like .5 of an ASIMO when it was damp.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, taking the wide line over the corkscrew probably saved you from braking horror at T10. I unknowningly used up what remaining brake temp headroom I had at corkscrew and wound up going wide at 10
Old 02-06-2013, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by goteki
Well, for what it's worth, taking the wide line over the corkscrew probably saved you from braking horror at T10. I unknowningly used up what remaining brake temp headroom I had at corkscrew and wound up going wide at 10
You have done Laguna a few times right, always on stock brake pads?

Quick Reply: Laguna Seca - CityTech Track Day 2013/02/03