California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Kwv3, anyone else running these?

Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been outside since I posted up above. Trying to bring the ride height in. The18" CE 28's are on. Adjusted the heights up in the front and down in the rear. I'll drive it more tomorrow, but for now I hear a little rubbing on the right front on a fast transition so I'll address that. The rears were an easy two finger gap high, got that down to about a finger and a half.
Shot out onto the free way for a quick second. Got up to about 90 before I looked down, it just didn't FEEL like 90. On the stock dampers you knew when you were going fast. These are real smooth so I'm looking forward to getting into the finer adjustment's.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM

Yeah I learned by doing, jacking up the complete rear end makes it easier to adjust.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
haha! i just got mine on last weekend too.

Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1393973719' post='23046200

once you get your ride height dialed, let us know how you like them. i know you're all the way up yonder, but i'm interested in hearing how more local guys like thes KWV3s. considering them for when my Buddy Clubs go.
i couldn't stand the buddyclubs anymore, especially when i daily my car

what i did was use the height that was already on the kw. it was pretty similar to the buddyclubs but i lowered the front by 3/16, from the bottom of the perch to the indication that kw recommended for measurement, and the rear by 3/4 (12/16).

currently, it's a bit more than a 1 finger gap in the front and 1.5 finger gap in the rear. pretty sure im going to have to raise the front once it settles.

haven't had a chance to really take some turns yet, but im hoping i can get some fun time this weekend when it's sunny
you didn't like your buddy clubs? from what i've read, it's one of the most popular street coilovers. haven't seen too many bad reviews from people. i don't daily my S, but I do live in SF, and have driven all over the city. i like them so far. if anything, i think they're a little too soft. i have them set at 11 in front and 9 in the rear, w/no gap in front and the rear slightly tucked (settled, so need to adjust). my gf doesn't dig the ride too much, but i think it's pretty good. then again, i had some Euro market Intrax Proflex (made by Ohlins) coilovers on my street WRX. those handled great, but were bone jarring w/out damping or pre-load adjustability.

have fun getting your KWs dialed, g0gett4. i spent literally 8+ hrs in my garage until morning getting my buddy clubs right... setting ride height, pre-load, and damping. i used to spend countless nights and days tinkering with my other cars, but i don't have the time or energy anymore. i just pay and have others do the work now.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
you didn't like your buddy clubs? from what i've read, it's one of the most popular street coilovers. haven't seen too many bad reviews from people. i don't daily my S, but I do live in SF, and have driven all over the city. i like them so far. if anything, i think they're a little too soft. i have them set at 11 in front and 9 in the rear, w/no gap in front and the rear slightly tucked (settled, so need to adjust). my gf doesn't dig the ride too much, but i think it's pretty good. then again, i had some Euro market Intrax Proflex (made by Ohlins) coilovers on my street WRX. those handled great, but were bone jarring w/out damping or pre-load adjustability.

have fun getting your KWs dialed, g0gett4. i spent literally 8+ hrs in my garage until morning getting my buddy clubs right... setting ride height, pre-load, and damping. i used to spend countless nights and days tinkering with my other cars, but i don't have the time or energy anymore. i just pay and have others do the work now.
yes they were upgrades from springs and yes they did more of what i wanted to be able to adjust, however i grew out of it and it annoyed me that i couldn't do anything about it except upgrade.

so far, i'm loving the kw. getting every chance i can get to drive around and it's a lot more enjoyable than the buddyclubs, especially for a daily
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hrmmmm, with a little adjustments on adjustable suspension you'll get them dialed in, stay patient, and do the research up front!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:40 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
I've been outside since I posted up above. Trying to bring the ride height in. The18" CE 28's are on. Adjusted the heights up in the front and down in the rear. I'll drive it more tomorrow, but for now I hear a little rubbing on the right front on a fast transition so I'll address that. The rears were an easy two finger gap high, got that down to about a finger and a half.
Shot out onto the free way for a quick second. Got up to about 90 before I looked down, it just didn't FEEL like 90. On the stock dampers you knew when you were going fast. These are real smooth so I'm looking forward to getting into the finer adjustment's.
Stop measuring with your fingers and half fingers and get a ruler. When someone explains their ride height using finger measurement, I like to show them the two fingers I measure my ride height with.

The most common method is measuring from wheel center to fender/quarter panel. At 13" or so you will about 1" lower than stock. With the spring rates on the V3 that is a good height to be at.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 AM

Oh I'm adjusting by measurement for sure. Using a tape measure. You learn quickly that there is a ratio for each inch of adjusted height there is 1.43 inch movement at the visual wheel gap.
I'm reading a lot right now. I'll set my ride height in the morning and try to get an alignment. Thanks again for all your input and interest.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by g0g3tt4' timestamp='1393985177' post='23046485
Stop measuring with your fingers and half fingers and get a ruler. When someone explains their ride height using finger measurement, I like to show them the two fingers I measure my ride height with.

The most common method is measuring from wheel center to fender/quarter panel. At 13" or so you will about 1" lower than stock. With the spring rates on the V3 that is a good height to be at.
Do you have those measurements for stock height for both ends?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by nos4you
Do you have those measurements for stock height for both ends?
On my 06 AP2 I measured 355mm (13.97") F, and 358mm (14.09") R with stock suspension. Figure +/- 1mm or so. It was on a completely level surface.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info Andrew! Thanks