California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Kwv3, anyone else running these?

Old 03-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kwv3, anyone else running these?

I installed some kwv3's I bought here on the board, low mile, damn near brand new. Anyway, I put these on last night using the stock top hats. Install goes fairly smooth. I get every thing back together, car on the ground, TA DA! Well not really cause the car is retardedly low. Stuff is rubbing all over the place.
My question is what the hell are those helper springs for? They don't do a damn thing but compress to all hell. So I get home about 9 after working on the car at my buddy's shop and figure it doesn't really matter cause I'm gonna put my 18's on in place of the 16's and it'll be all good. NOPE! The car literally sits on the tire... I'm like what the hell? I look into the rear wheel well and those little springs are fully compressed... So what do I do now?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

The tender springs are to help the main spring not bounce around when you unload the suspension. These are made to compress, then fill the void when your suspension starts to droop. If the car is low, raise it via the adjustable spring collar. Your ride height somes from the collar, main spring, and tender spring (fully compressed).
Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

once you get your ride height dialed, let us know how you like them. i know you're all the way up yonder, but i'm interested in hearing how more local guys like thes KWV3s. considering them for when my Buddy Clubs go.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

here is a picture i took to show you roughly how to get recommended height (these are the clubsport model and the helper spring is actually on the top on these ones but the otherwise the reference will work for you. This is on the rear.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

KW uses tender springs which also compress all the way like helper springs but the tender springs change the feel of the car when the suspension unloads unlike helper springs.
Like what was already discussed, adjust the threaded lower spring perch/ride height adjuster. Don't forget to loosen the set screw, jack up the ends vs side to prevent the sway bar from making things difficult to adjust and don't tighten that set screw very tight.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Before you adjust take some measurements of where you are at now as well so you know what adjustments to make.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if this helps: http://www.kw-store.com/extras/docs/...ah68650005.pdf

Did you reuse the factory supporting washer in addition to the top hats?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:22 PM

I did use the washer.
Mac you know I was about to call you!
I feel so desperate when things don't work.
Disaster averted.
I can explain, but it would just confirm that I'm an idiot.
Thanks for all the replies.
I'll be sure to let you know what I think of them. Won't be long, bout to put 1600 miles on them next week.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you got it worked out
You're always more than welcome to call.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:56 PM

haha! i just got mine on last weekend too.

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
once you get your ride height dialed, let us know how you like them. i know you're all the way up yonder, but i'm interested in hearing how more local guys like thes KWV3s. considering them for when my Buddy Clubs go.
i couldn't stand the buddyclubs anymore, especially when i daily my car

what i did was use the height that was already on the kw. it was pretty similar to the buddyclubs but i lowered the front by 3/16, from the bottom of the perch to the indication that kw recommended for measurement, and the rear by 3/4 (12/16).

currently, it's a bit more than a 1 finger gap in the front and 1.5 finger gap in the rear. pretty sure im going to have to raise the front once it settles.

haven't had a chance to really take some turns yet, but im hoping i can get some fun time this weekend when it's sunny

Quick Reply: Kwv3, anyone else running these?