California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

kind off forum but..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Wow! 56mi!!!! Man this would be so sweet! Did you try calling the dealer to see what they would say about making this road legal?
Hi, When did you get the Elise? How does it drive compared to S2k?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yaboynick415
Originally Posted by kaansahbaz' timestamp='1341723360' post='21842178
Skylines had few different engines including none turbo! Better check which model is this one.
Most street legal skylines were disassembled before they left Japan and assembled back in US as a kit car and regIstered like that
, and mechanical odo meters are the easiest things to roll back, don't get excited about 56 mi

i remember a long long long time ago motorex or somthing like that and some other place in la were one of the few importers (maybe thats what they were called not sure) were the ones to legalize skylines.
Motorex got busted for trying to say that R34-R32 were basically the same. The only chassis that was every properly tested/certified for import was the R33.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Even R33s often get impounded. Motorex skirting the law importing R32s and R34s the way they were pretty much cancelled out any of the work they did to make R33s possible. Cars disassembled/re-assembled in the U.S. definitely aren't legal, and are probably the most likely to get impounded. There are close to zero "legally" registered JDM cars in the U.S. less than 25 years old., there are so many odd regulations that could get a car impounded by I.C.E. but that of course doesn't keep people from doing it.

That said though an R32 as a relatively inexpensive and fun track car would be fantastic. Skyline GT-S models are fantastic cars as well
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Even R33s often get impounded. Motorex skirting the law importing R32s and R34s the way they were pretty much cancelled out any of the work they did to make R33s possible. Cars disassembled/re-assembled in the U.S. definitely aren't legal, and are probably the most likely to get impounded. There are close to zero "legally" registered JDM cars in the U.S., there are so many odd regulations that could get a car impounded by I.C.E. but that of course doesn't keep people from doing it.

That said though an R32 as a relatively inexpensive and fun track car would be fantastic. Skyline GT-S models are fantastic cars as well
I guess if the R33 wasn't properly imported (i.e. incomplete paperwork) then it would get impounded, but it is legally importable into the US through the VCP 32 eligibility number given by the NHTSA (as of 9/2011: http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig100111.pdf, page 17).

Your assertion, which I highlighted in bold in the quote, is definitely not correct. There are TONS of legally registered JDM cars in the US and California. The only catch is that you have to wait 25 years after the car's production in order to be able to legally import it. The R32 will be legal in 2014 but you'll have to wait until 2024 to legally import an R34. Just 12 more years...

From NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...l#Anchor-28852):

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonV
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1341866722' post='21845808
Even R33s often get impounded. Motorex skirting the law importing R32s and R34s the way they were pretty much cancelled out any of the work they did to make R33s possible. Cars disassembled/re-assembled in the U.S. definitely aren't legal, and are probably the most likely to get impounded. There are close to zero "legally" registered JDM cars in the U.S., there are so many odd regulations that could get a car impounded by I.C.E. but that of course doesn't keep people from doing it.

I guess if the R33 wasn't properly imported (i.e. incomplete paperwork) then it would get impounded, but it is legally importable into the US through the VCP 32 eligibility number given by the NHTSA (as of 9/2011: http://stnw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig100111.pdf, page 17).

Your assertion, which I highlighted in bold in the quote, is definitely not correct. There are TONS of legally registered JDM cars in the US and California. The only catch is that you have to wait 25 years after the car's production in order to be able to legally import it. The R32 will be legal in 2014 but you'll have to wait until 2024 to legally import an R34. Just 12 more years...

From NHTSA (http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...l#Anchor-28852):

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

Yep I am well aware of all that. My statement is simply based off the fact that most cars that are fully registered are almost always breaking some minor regulation that is usually ignored by most local and even the federal government. There are still many R33s that have been impounded/crushed after going through "legal" processes. There are still a number of modifications that need to be made to fully comply with the law when importing an R33 into the U.S. I was also aware of the 25 year regulation but which JDM cars are people importing that are older that are 25+ years old besides very old classics? I guess you could start importing AE86 this year, but "TONS of legally registered JDM cars in CA" is questionable.

But don't get me wrong, I am all for importing of any kind, legal or otherwise, haha. 2 more years and R32 will be legal!
Old 07-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

focus auto sales is big and has legalized few r34s, if serious talk to them, they will be happy to answer your questions
Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by sixt33n
no. r34's cant be registered nor be driven in ca.

O'rly? Both in Cali

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9EzkAIGbE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jG9PUIkjL0
Old 07-09-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kaansahbaz
Originally Posted by sixt33n' timestamp='1341783005' post='21843354

O'rly? Both in Cali

Not anymore they can't.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep I am well aware of all that. My statement is simply based off the fact that most cars that are fully registered are almost always breaking some minor regulation that is usually ignored by most local and even the federal government. There are still many R33s that have been impounded/crushed after going through "legal" processes. There are still a number of modifications that need to be made to fully comply with the law when importing an R33 into the U.S. I was also aware of the 25 year regulation but which JDM cars are people importing that are older that are 25+ years old besides very old classics? I guess you could start importing AE86 this year, but "TONS of legally registered JDM cars in CA" is questionable.

But don't get me wrong, I am all for importing of any kind, legal or otherwise, haha. 2 more years and R32 will be legal!
I wouldn't say that "most cars that are fully registered are almost always breaking some minor regulation", not at all. Any proof of this?

As for this:
Motorex skirting the law importing R32s and R34s the way they were pretty much cancelled out any of the work they did to make R33s possible
I haven't heard of legal R33s getting impounded, as the illegal R34s were (post 2006), nor of R33s being illegalized. I'm honestly, genuinely curious, any examples of "many R33s", let alone R34s getting crushed that were legally imported?

I personally know of way more than a few JDM cars in the US, so yes, literally TONS!

There are close to zero "legally" registered JDM cars in the U.S.
This is why I bring it up, there are way more than zero legally registered JDM cars in the US (unless by "close to zero" you mean thousands!). I've seen many of them, and know a few of the owners personally! It is all done legally.

Do old classics for some reason not count, even though they are imported JDM cars? You'd be surprised, there are way more people than you think that have used the 25-year importation laws to their advantage. C10, C110, R30 and R31 Skylines, Honda S800s, Fairlady Zs and Z432, Isuzu Bellets, Corollas, Celicas, RX-series and Cosmo Mazdas, etc. No hard feelings or anything, I just want to clarify things for those who are not as well versed on the legalities of JDM importation. Unless the car has been certified to meet US safety and emissions requirements, it's much easier to import a vehicle that's at least 25-years-old.

So OP, consider your question answered, no R34 for you until 2024.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Originally Posted by kaansahbaz' timestamp='1341875592' post='21846216
[quote name='sixt33n' timestamp='1341783005' post='21843354']

O'rly? Both in Cali

Not anymore they can't.
[/quote]

you cant register a new vehicle but you can keep a current vehicle that was registered long time ago, no?
so these still could be in ca, how do you know they are not

Quick Reply: kind off forum but..