California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Keep a look-out guys...

Old 04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly would stop to do what I can to help the person. The system may be flawed but knowing I did what I could to help the person is by far worth the price of jail time.
It's the humane thing to do. To let someone die because of your actions is flawed.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

^--- I was speaking in the context that it would be almost understood that they're dead aka direct impact @ 65mph.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not everyone is out to get everyone. You may not be charged. You are INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. meaning to be charged with manslaughter by vehicle, it has to be proved without a reasonable doubt that you were out to get the person. So couldn't you have a chance if it's proven they were partly at fault? (i.e. a person wearing all black walking across the highway at midnight). Or no because pedestrians are always given the right of way?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dagle,Apr 22 2009, 03:57 PM
You can argue all the hell you want back and forth, the bottom line is that NO ONE would be able to make a solid decision in the event no matter how hard his testicles are.
I can say with 100% certainty that it would never even cross my mind to flee an accident scene. From reading the responses in this thread, I am sure that I am not alone. Yes, I have considered the situation and the repercussions of sticking around, and the decision is still an easy one for me.

Quite simply, on a very basic moral level, it is wrong to leave a scene where you caused an accident. It doesn't matter if you going to jail messes up your life or that it does nothing to help the victim's family. The point is that staying put is the right thing to do, and any punishment that you receive is deserved, because of your mistakes. Real men own up to their mistakes and live with the consequences - "kids" run away and try to hide from them.

Yeah, I guess in the end "you know who you are". And now we all know too. Apparently, you are a guy who has no problem pulling a hit-and-run, and a guy who would rather save his own ass than take responsibility for his actions.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dagle,Apr 22 2009, 03:57 PM
That's a weak and flawed example vu, there is intentionality there which makes for a HUGE difference. You're comparing homocide to manslaughter and I don't know about everyone else but I sure as hell wasn't talking about finding a biker on the road and running him over.
Umm....manslaughter is homicide.

But the fact of the matter is, you are talking about walking away in either case because you aren't willing to take responsibility for your actions. Sure, the possibilities exist that maybe you spent the rest of your life in jail, but let's be realistic here, if it was an accident, the courts aren't looking to put you in jail, because accidents happens.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by CalBear07,Apr 22 2009, 03:26 PM
I can say with 100% certainty that it would never even cross my mind to flee an accident scene. From reading the responses in this thread, I am sure that I am not alone. Yes, I have considered the situation and the repercussions of sticking around, and the decision is still an easy one for me.

Quite simply, on a very basic moral level, it is wrong to leave a scene where you caused an accident. It doesn't matter if you going to jail messes up your life or that it does nothing to help the victim's family. The point is that staying put is the right thing to do, and any punishment that you receive is deserved, because of your mistakes. Real men own up to their mistakes and live with the consequences - "kids" run away and try to hide from them.

Yeah, I guess in the end "you know who you are". And now we all know too. Apparently, you are a guy who has no problem pulling a hit-and-run, and a guy who would rather save his own ass than take responsibility for his actions.
That's where I'd disagree. It doesn't make sense to throw your life away when you don't need to for something that you are no longer in control of. Have you been locked up before? I haven't but a lot of my friends have and from what they tell me I'd give anything up to stay out.

And nice job bashing me personally on this and twisting what I said around. I NEVER ONCE said it was the right thing to do. "and now we all know too. Apparently, you are a guy who has no problem pulling a hit-and-run, and a guy who would rather save his own ass than take responsibility for his actions."

who said I would have no problem doing it? I'm saying that it'd probably be the course of action I'd take to buy time to carefully and rationally think out what to do. But that last part isn't wrong though, if I had to choose between myself and a stranger you bet your ass I'd pick myself. Call me selfish, call me a coward, I 100% SURE AS HELL like myself a whole lot more than I like a stranger. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter, you're a saint compared to me.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dagle,Apr 22 2009, 03:58 PM
so you're saying that if a peddler was walking on the highway unnoticeable and you hit him you would call the police and tell them "I JUST KILLED A MAN, ARREST ME OFFICER." because according to you murdering someone is the same as accidently killing someone.
I didn't. I said "By your rationality"

And if I was to hit someone, you can be sure I won't drive away like nothing happened. I would first stop and help the person. Maybe they didn't die instantly. Maybe they are bleeding out, but if I keep driving like nothing happened, what was once accidental, now becomes deliberate.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Apr 22 2009, 03:33 PM
Umm....manslaughter is homicide.

But the fact of the matter is, you are talking about walking away in either case because you aren't willing to take responsibility for your actions. Sure, the possibilities exist that maybe you spent the rest of your life in jail, but let's be realistic here, if it was an accident, the courts aren't looking to put you in jail, because accidents happens.
I guess I'm not one to leave it to chance then, you can't deny that there will be a chance.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Apr 22 2009, 04:47 PM

And if I was to hit someone, you can be sure I won't drive away like nothing happened. I would first stop and help the person. Maybe they didn't die instantly. Maybe they are bleeding out, but if I keep driving like nothing happened, what was once accidental, now becomes deliberate.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Apr 22 2009, 03:47 PM

heavy impact at high speed vs. standing object weighing 1/30th of your total mass. that's what i was talking about, if there's a chance they're alive i'd stop but realistically 65mph impact.

but lets go further and just take out that fact, lets say you got out the car and nobody was around (lets pretend you're on the backroads) and the person is obviously dead, would it still be a far-out idea to think about running?

Quick Reply: Keep a look-out guys...