California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Kart Racing at Speedring

Old 09-04-2001, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kart Racing at Speedring

As a long time kart racer and road racer, I am having a great time with my wifes S2000. It's like a race car for the street. For safety reasons, racing should be done on the track. So I wanted to know if there was any intrest in having S2000 owners meet at Speedring Kart Racing facilityin Santa Clara.

I have seen other clubs meet there and race against each other during their own heats and qualifying times. For those of you who have not been there, it's really fun. They supply your driving suit, helmet, gloves and neckbrace. All you have to do is not get lapped. The karts are fairly well maintained and its a very clean facility.

I thought it would give everone a chance to race and get to know the other S2000 owners. E-mail me if you are interested and we can arrange a day and track time.
Old 09-05-2001, 12:02 AM

It is a fun place, but bring your own helmet (their loaner helmets really stink!).
Also, slower drivers do not seem to care much about blue/yellow flags. If you drive a little more agressively to pass them you get a black flag and lose time.
A lot of fun but very frustrating at times

But I only tried open practices, races are probably more fun, especially without random slow and dumb drivers.

Just my two cents
Old 09-05-2001, 06:53 AM

DogFoot and I would be interested in a session or two.

We went there for the first time this past weekend and had a good time. Yes there are problems passing people, but overall the flaggers kept everything under control.

I was on the slow side, so I understand how difficult it is to try to be aware of racers behind you, the flaggers, and still keep your eyes on the track. DogFoot, however, only knew that people were in his way and wouldn't move!

The only down side is that DogFoot wants to buy a kart and go racing!
Old 09-05-2001, 08:51 AM

I went there earlier this summer. It was my first time on a cart. We did the open practice thing for $20. You can't beat the exitement for that price. It is very fun. I had never put on racing gear before and didn't realize how claustrophobic it is inside a helmet. I went with a bunch of friends and we thought it would be fun to be on the track with each other. But once we got our gear on and hit the track, we had no idea who was who out there. The only way we could recognize each other was by our shoes.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:31 AM

it's lots of fun, but the flaggers don't always help you out. i have to break my line a lot to pass slower people.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:32 AM

Still have not gone out there myself, but would be interested in we could get something put together.
Old 09-05-2001, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by josh3io
[B]it's lots of fun, but the flaggers don't always help you out.
Old 09-05-2001, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by josh3io
[B]it's lots of fun, but the flaggers don't always help you out.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:19 AM

I've been there a few times and would enjoy another visit. Especially if we can get the bulk of the session filled with S2K drivers who know what they are doing.

I've also thought that it would be fun to go to a late, late session and get on the track when there are few or no others. That is a chance to work on lines and times w/o interference.

-DD-
Old 09-07-2001, 10:28 PM

Looks like there is enough intrest. I'll go ahead and get more details for the group. Hopefully, we can get one practice heat and one 20 minute race heat for our group.

I'll post the news

Quick Reply: Kart Racing at Speedring