California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

just got my new shift knob

Old 12-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my new shift knob

and i have it installed, but its off by 90 degrees no matter what i do with the locking nut or the orientation of the knob prior to screwing it in.

i have only dont this on one other car before, but it had no shift knob and i just hand tightened it.

but this one with my new shift knob (moddiction countersunk), not only is the orientation off, but the locking nut is inside the knob there fore i cant tighten it.

it should stand to reason that if it came tightened from the factory with the locking nut that i should lock the nut to the new shift knob too right?

lastly, even if i were to hand tighten it to the appropriate strength, it would still be facing the wrong way.

any thoughts is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 AM

U tried trial and error on the position of the locking nut?
U can mark the locking but with whiteout to keep track of the position.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:55 AM

yeah, i tried multiple angles on the knob beforehand

i also tried setting the locking nut higher, but it still chills at a wrong angle
Old 12-24-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had several modifications and they all have locking nuts. Did you buy new? You have to use the two lock nuts that come with them. The oem lock nut will not work with it.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:59 AM

that must be what i am missing, ill double check the back - i am just used to my old toyota knob where it was screw on and off lol

it is brand new from modd.

so i replace the OEM lock nut or use it in conjunction with the new one?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace it. Should be two nuts and a crush washer. I might have an extra set if you need it.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by nos4you
Replace it. Should be two nuts and a crush washer. I might have an extra set if you need it.
cool, found it and did it, but its still facing 78 degrees off, hah

i tried with just a nut, 2 washers, 2 nuts with the washer, etc, but no bueno.

i AM tightening the nuts to the shifter itself first, to which i then just screw in the shift knob - that should be it right?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:58 PM

Wait, are you screwing the locking but down all the way and just screwing the shift knob all the way? You should do that, then when the knob cannot be screwed in any more, unscrew it so its how you want and unscrew the the locking a bit so it stays in place.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 PM

Ok from what I research, the shift knob is countersunk and the reverse lock nuts are hidden in the shift knob when screwed in? I think your problem is screwing the lock nuts all the way down, you should just unscrew it a bit and lock it place and try putting the shift knob on until its centered.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by FromaDB2toanAP1
Ok from what I research, the shift knob is countersunk and the reverse lock nuts are hidden in the shift knob when screwed in? I think your problem is screwing the lock nuts all the way down, you should just unscrew it a bit and lock it place and try putting the shift knob on until its centered.
ill go and fiddle with that today, but since its just a nut, i cant really lock it without screwing on the shift knob (maybe the terminology is lost on me T_T)

Quick Reply: just got my new shift knob