"softtop" is always down in my case
[/quote]
I didn't say soft top
Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome!
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM

I bought my Robbins top with defroster via Ebay for roughly $550 and installed it myself. The cheapest quote I could find was $700 to have it installed. I said screw it and did it myself with the PDF guide on S2Ki and it took 10 hours, and I'm mechanically inclined. I install all my own aftermarket parts (coilovers, full stereo, intake, exhaust, paint/fit non OEM lip, etc) and the top was BY FAR the most tedious. I would not recommend it for a beginner unless you had some good help. On the bright side I was really carefull taking off the soft top and was able to fetch over $300 for it on Ebay so the top, net, only cost $250.

Curious, is the plastic window oxidized or scratched? Because if it is scratched up, from rubbing on the rear deck, you can polish it with a product called NOVUS Plasic Polish and it works really well. It should help at least little if it's oxidized but I'm not sure. It might be a good option if you need to save up $$$ for the install or dont operate your top often. It'll also help you get more money for the old top if you decide to sell it after it's off.

New top works great, no leaks, and I installed it in early 2006. The best modification I've done with coilovers as a close second. But I would never want to do it again.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Woot Woot for AP1 in Silverstone!

Welcome

Is your BF on the boards too? That's awesome that you both have one now & hope you guys can come out to the meets/events. Im in the same boat too with my other AP1 GPW, but mine is beyond repair as the plastic window is totally oxidized & cracked as well from putting the top down.

Typically, you can find used OEM soft tops in glass in good condition anywhere from $600-$900. That would include the frame & motors, you would pull out the old & drop in the new. Install time can take around 4-6 hours depending on how fast you can work on it. You can also just buy a replacement cloth/glass top from Robbins or other manufacturers. Theres a thread somewhere here in the Bay Area section with this information - maybe in the next 2 pages.

Chris (ics2ks) is going to be in the process of replacing his top soon. Might be a good experience for you to help/check out when he does the install to give you a better idea of what is involved.

EDIT: HERE is that link I was talking about above.

Originally Posted by macr88
Welcome

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1312917151' post='20861770
Originally Posted by macr88
Welcome

Originally Posted by l s2000 l
welcome!

Thanks! I think the guys I know with S2Ks are more excited than I am about getting a S2K... My excitement will start once I am done fixing her up! LOL
Old 08-09-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by UCSB-S2K
I bought my Robbins top with defroster via Ebay for roughly $550 and installed it myself. The cheapest quote I could find was $700 to have it installed. I said screw it and did it myself with the PDF guide on S2Ki and it took 10 hours, and I'm mechanically inclined. I install all my own aftermarket parts (coilovers, full stereo, intake, exhaust, paint/fit non OEM lip, etc) and the top was BY FAR the most tedious. I would not recommend it for a beginner unless you had some good help. On the bright side I was really carefull taking off the soft top and was able to fetch over $300 for it on Ebay so the top, net, only cost $250.

Curious, is the plastic window oxidized or scratched? Because if it is scratched up, from rubbing on the rear deck, you can polish it with a product called NOVUS Plasic Polish and it works really well. It should help at least little if it's oxidized but I'm not sure. It might be a good option if you need to save up $$$ for the install or dont operate your top often. It'll also help you get more money for the old top if you decide to sell it after it's off.

New top works great, no leaks, and I installed it in early 2006. The best modification I've done with coilovers as a close second. But I would never want to do it again.

I am not mechanically inclined . The plastic is fully oxidized, not scratched. I might try to buff it out and if that doesn't work, I have to buy a replacement top. I am not sure this plastic top will get me any money... LOL it is in pretty bad condition. The previous owner lived in Socal and left the top down most of the time, I guess the fabric kinda deteriorated and now there are rips and tears here and there. I wish the weather was more suitable top down all the time... then I wouldn't replace this thing for a while!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by chViETnk
or do what i did, and went with a hardtop

Lol no hardtop for me.... defeats the purpose of convertible
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM

Welcome to the family!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Welcome! I too am suffering from oxidized plastic window. Then our pit put a hole in it so its held up by tape!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:41 PM

My friend had this problem. His solution involved a knife. Now he has a crystal clear view, minus rain protection.

Quick Reply: Just bought a stock AP1