California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

just bought a 2006 ap2

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought a 2006 ap2

Hello everyone! I'd like to introduce you to me and my new friend Rixie. I'm 25 and a software eng in sf. Here's Rixie:

I picked her up last monday and finally the weather had a nice enough break on Sunday to get her top down for a little while. Spent over 9 hours driving up from SF to Clearlake and back in the twisties. I was absolutely in love with the whole thing.

It's my third Honda, previously I had a 1988 CRX (dixie) (which was by far the greatest car I've ever owned) and a PITA 1993 Honda Prelude (Trixie). Rixie reminds me a ton of the CRX, but it's way better in every way. I did an engine swap and a ton of work myself on both cars. I love doing the work myself, but unfortunately I don't have a space to do it now that I live in SF.

As far as plans, I'm starting with audio. I had to get rid of the stock radio so I put in a Sony DSX-S310BTX the other day, which is fantastic. Modifry adapter on the way to get the dash controls back. Then I'm going to swap out the speakers.

I want to get into auto-x, I've wanted to for years but have been in a pickup the last 6 or so. Judging from the articles it seems to be pretty popular with this crowd.

Mechanically, she's doing okay. I'm thinking about taking it down to a shop to give it a solid inspection. There might be a little exhaust leak, but I'm not positive. Third gear also seems to have a little grind going into gear (is this cause for concern? common?).

Glad to join the community!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Change your transmission fluid to be on the safe side (along with oil and diff oil), but a little 3rd-gear notchiness is common at lower RPMs and when the transmission is cold.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 PM

Welcome to s2ki bay area Jeff! I can tell you have a good taste! You picked the right color! Hehehe!
Make sure to check out the other threads for drives and Friday night milpitas meet. The drive coming up is on April 1st.
Definitely keep checking the autox thread so you can join us. We haven't been really active this beginning of the year but I bet it will pick up. We just also did a track day with Blacktrax. You can also take your car to them. They are located in milpitas. Great shop and with good people. They are also a sponsor here on s2ki. Their next track day will be in november. Just want to give you heads up, just in case you wanted to track your car as well. Looking forward to meeting you in one of the events soon!

-Justin
Old 03-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Welcome.

I normally change all the 'oils' and check the coolant. I'm particular about such things...
Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on your new car and welcome to the club Jeff. I would bring the car to have it inspected by an experienced s2ki mechanic and just have the oils all replaced so I don't have any doubts and be on the safe side.

-Victor
Old 03-19-2012, 02:11 PM

First rule! ...Enjoy her! ;-)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Welcome, nice looking S, what company/startup in SF ?
Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM

I love black cars! @danvuquoc I'm a Rails engineer at Tapjoy.

I think you guys nailed the tranny issue, definitely low-rpm notchiness, and I think it is worse when cold. I'm going to give the guys at The Shop in San Bruno a call this week as it was the other suggested place, and also a lot closer to me. Give her a good once over, change out the fluids, maybe get an alignment as well so I'll be ready for some auto-x!

As far as the drives go, I'm going to miss the April 1st ride since i'll be in Atlanta, but I'm going to catch the big sur one in May. I'll be down in Milpitas either this week or next week as well.

Quick Reply: just bought a 2006 ap2