California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Job Interviews

Old 12-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Job Interviews

Hey guys, I've had a few debates with my friends over this, and I'd like to see what some outside opinions might be.

Say you have a job, and you're looking to work for a better company, and get more money.
You're making about 70k per year now. Your goal is not to take a cut in pay, but to take a better position at a better job.
So you start applying for work while you have a job.

Now the fun part, interviewing.

A company calls you to tell you they want to do a phone interview. So you do a phone interview and no salary or pay is mentioned. Now you get a call two weeks later for an in person interview with a panel of the managers still unknowing the pay, would you be brave enough to ask how much the salary is during that interview?

I mean the last thing you would want to do is take multiple days/time off work without pay for multiple interviews, and hear they only pay half of what you're presently making.

Who is brave and asks? If you asked, did you get the job?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:40 AM

thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,077 Posts

Pay should be one of the first things discussed so that you aren't wasting each others time.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always ask if its not predetermined by union contract hierarchies. If a job really wants you they will probably volunteer that information relatively early in the process to entice you to work for them. Ideally you could use PTO to attend interviews so you aren't actually losing money as you browse. All my experience is in the healthcare field so it might be different in other fields.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Sam,

That was my exact arguement. Their time is just as important, they dont want to bring a guy for multiple interviews who wants XXX amount of money and they are only willing to pay X amount of money. I asked the question (during this panel interview) and one lady kind of cringed like I touched her nipple or something. Unfortunately they told me only HR could discuss that with me and that they were out of town. It's a really strong and well known company, but I don't want to waste my time.

I've read online and my friends told me you should never bring it up if they havent mentioned it, until you get an actual job offer. I personally think that's a ridiculous approach if you value your time.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:06 AM

I usually ask about the pay not later than the second interview but in my experience they always come back to ask me how much I'm looking for. I would just ask, it's just as important to them as it is to you.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JayJones
Sam,

That was my exact arguement. Their time is just as important, they dont want to bring a guy for multiple interviews who wants XXX amount of money and they are only willing to pay X amount of money. I asked the question (during this panel interview) and one lady kind of cringed like I touched her nipple or something. Unfortunately they told me only HR could discuss that with me and that they were out of town. It's a really strong and well known company, but I don't want to waste my time.

I've read online and my friends told me you should never bring it up if they havent mentioned it, until you get an actual job offer. I personally think that's a ridiculous approach if you value your time.
The bigger the company the better chance they have of low-balling you as well. They know damn well what the pay range is for the position and they should be able to at least to give you an idea. I can understand not doing so during the initial phone interview, but by the second they should be willing to give you and idea of starting pay and benefits.

I'd have a hard time having respect for anyone I'm interviewing to have not posed the question to me by the 2nd interview. I'd expect it.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 AM

They asked me how much I made during the intital phone interview, but didn't tell me how much they position paid. So politely, I waited until the in person and they basically told me I have to wait.

Yes exactly, the bigger the company the bigger chance I have of being low-balled. That's why I want to know up front if this relationship is going to go even further.

Is anybody here experienced in counter offering?

Thanks for all the responses! I also feel if that question is "deal breaker", then they have their heads up their ass. I think any talented person who values their time, will ask the range of pay. I mean in the end, we're all here to support ourselves and families.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JayJones
I think any talented person who values their time, will ask the range of pay. I mean in the end, we're all here to support ourselves and families.
Exactly and they know that.

You've told them what you currently make and they're still talking to you, if they weren't in the same ballpark (or higher) they would've said something then. At least I would have.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do hiring at my local autozone warehouse obviously not on the large scale salary end of things. I always ask what people "want to make" but at the end of the day if they are making 15/hr per say 95% of the time I'm offering less then they make currently. A lot of people take the position because of the "perks" but generally I'll give them a heads up of a realistic dollar amount. Also don't be afraid to ask about the money, in this day and age it's all about the money for the most part. Easiest way is ask for a ball park figure. I have been promoted in the company three times and I always ask what the next step will be as far as Income. People are afraid to talk about money, but it's our lively hood.

Quick Reply: Job Interviews