California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

iphone datalogging/ laptimer

Old 08-04-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default iphone datalogging/ laptimer

So I've been looking into getting some form of a laptimer for my first trackday and from what I've gathered the gps apps offered on the iphone are fairly accurate for what they are, and you can also use them to check the diagnostics of the car. This to me is cool because I don't even have code reader or a laptimer for that matter.

My question is how exactly do you get the phone to pick up the diagnostcs?

From what I've read I can use either bluetooth, or a external cable. The wifi scanners won't work because I obviously won't be stationary so It seems like my only option would be blue tooth, especally since I don't want a cable floating around on my floorboard while I'm out there.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think PLX has the Kiwi for these kinds of functions. Essentially, OBDII port will be your connecting port.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
I think PLX has the Kiwi for these kinds of functions. Essentially, OBDII port will be your connecting port.
Thanks. It really seems to be worthwhile considering I can use this for more than one purpose.

btw, you know if the one that works for androids also works on iphones?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup connect the phone to that data port and you get really cool data you can use for video overlays.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
So I've been looking into getting some form of a laptimer for my first trackday and from what I've gathered the gps apps offered on the iphone are fairly accurate for what they are, and you can also use them to check the diagnostics of the car. This to me is cool because I don't even have code reader or a laptimer for that matter.

From what I've read I can use either bluetooth, or a external cable. The wifi scanners won't work because I obviously won't be stationary so It seems like my only option would be blue tooth, especally since I don't want a cable floating around on my floorboard while I'm out there.
Harry's Lap Timer Full edition. LOVE IT. ANd it lets you do all the video overlay etc.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fujin
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1344122541' post='21913431

Harry's Lap Timer Full edition. LOVE IT. ANd it lets you do all the video overlay etc.
That's the one that was recommended to me. Can you take that overlay and apply it to a go pro video? Or does it have to be the video recorded through your phone only?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fujin' timestamp='1344140106' post='21913734
[quote name='Thateguhate' timestamp='1344122541' post='21913431']

That's the one that was recommended to me. Can you take that overlay and apply it to a go pro video? Or does it have to be the video recorded through your phone only?
[/quote]

you can overlay the data logging you get from the harry's lap timer app to any video taken with an external camera such as go pro or contour video cam. You will need a third party software such as Dashware.

You can also just use your iphone to take a video and data logging at the same time so you won't have to use Dashware.

I currently use this combo:

Data logging:
Kiwi Wifi + Harry's Lap Timer (iPhone 4) + Dual electronics XGPS150A External GPS (connected via bluetooth to my iPhone)

Video:
Contour 1080p and GoPro Hero 1080p

Editing Software:
iMovie or Final cut
DashWare (Video & data overlay)

Sample from my last track event this year with Blacktrax @ Thill Raceway

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fpFoLZAihdI
Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 AM

Sweet! I remember seeing you video after the trackday and wondering how everyone was doing this. Thanks for the heads up! Would only those two programs work? I have Windows Movie Maker and Vegas Pro 10 currently.. Just curious.

edit: no imovie here. I use a desktop.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! I remember seeing you video after the trackday and wondering how everyone was doing this. Thanks for the heads up! Would only those two programs work? I have Windows Movie Maker and Vegas Pro 10 currently.. Just curious.

edit: no imovie here. I use a desktop.
I'm don't see why it wouldn't work... For as long as you have a good/fast pc.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it worth paying 49 dollars to this app and 150 dollars to the wireles obd2 connector?

Quick Reply: iphone datalogging/ laptimer