California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

intake decision

Old 08-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake decision

need help picking out a intake system for my00. a k&n or the CT engineering. does anybody have like actual hp gains who has them would help a lot. need to add some power to my car thanks
Old 08-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

You're not really gonna notice it HP-wise. But both have nice sound gains. Of course, you could always just remove the lid from the stock intake box. It can be loud on some cars. I have the K&N and I love it when it hits VTEC.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just drive with the stock intake-cover off. It sounds louder and more aggressive than having an K&N intake and it's FREE! I've always bought aftermarket intake around $200-$300 but realized it was a waste of money! Everyone keep thinking I've modified my car with an intake but it's just stock. I never noticed any hp. It just sounds faster! Good luck with your decision tho
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I bought my intake I was between both the CT engineering and the K&N FIPK. The reason I chose the K&N was because of the cost difference for one, and secondly they claim to put up 8-10 hp (which I think is still bs) but members here have gotten anywhere from a 2-5 hp gain, and about 4-6 gain in torque on the dyno. If that's on a dyno I would imagine with proper air flow it would do even better ie: on the freeway/track.

The CT enginnering is much less of an eye sore and prevents heatsoak even better than the K&N but is a bit pricey to buy new and unless you can find one on craigslist the cost to what your power gain is just is not quite worth it. I haven't heard of these intakes making anymore power than K&N's but its one of the cheaper (sealed box) intakes on the market honestly. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of your car. Google the intakes followed by "S2ki" and you will get all the links that I've read so you can better determine what you really want.

btw, I tried the lid off on the intake as well and I didn't have anything to gain by it. In fact the car stumbled from stops much more because of the heatsoak when It was really hot outside.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM

I've owned both the CT Engineering Icebox and K&N FIPK. Both intakes had their pros and cons, but I honestly liked the K&N FIPK a lot more. Both intakes did not give my car any gains at all.

The CT Engineering intake looked great in my engine bay. The carbon fiber cover added that little "bling" I wanted and the box was positioned further away from the hot engine to prevent heat soak on hot days. However, the fitment was a bit tougher on the CT Engineering intake and I remember having to work a bit harder to get it to fit in my engine bay. The intake also had this strange resonating sound between 4k to 5k RPM. The intake did not sound bad, though.

The FIPK sounds just like the stock intake with the cover off. It gave the car a deeper growl and nicer sound, but suffered a bit from heat soak on hotter days. I paired the intake with an AUT cooling plate and it really did not make a difference. The install for the FIPK was easier, but i always thought the FIPK looked kind of ugly sitting in my engine bay. The intake was pretty loud too.

If I were to do it all again, I would probably get the FIPK... but honestly, I don't think the S2000 needs an intake as long as you have a good sounding exhaust.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:27 AM

thanks guys for your input i might go with the fipk and start off with removing the box cover for the intake too see how it sounds lol
Old 08-19-2012, 10:33 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Removing the airbox lid is pretty much the standard way to increase intake temps and decrease power and throttle response. Heat Bad! Throttle response good!

As many have mentioned before me the intake box on the S2000 is not a bad design so any power increases are going to be fairly minimal. Throttle response should be your main concern. Both of the options you mentioned are good choices for the price. Having heard the K&N on quite a few cars I can tell you it is very very loud, my guess is that it will be louder than the CT engineering since the CT has a fully enclosed air box.

Intake, header, and exhaust together should get a much more significant power increase overall.

There are plenty of tuners/people that remove and seal the small resonator on the right of the main airbox on the OEM intake box. (Not a gutted air box, just removal of the resonator on the side) I think that would be the simplest solution for a nice small improvement in sound and slight improvement in throttle response. My experience with shorter intakes on almost any car is that while throttle response is improved it can be harder to control. Almost as if it becomes slightly less linear, where most larger air box style intakes give you really even response across all throttle positions.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:01 PM

Try oem hood vent with your stock airbox lid off big difference when on the freeway or in clean air! I have a gutted airbox with the resonator plugged when i put my friends airbox on which isnt gutted or plugged i notice almost a restricted feeling when i got on the loud pedal.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If money isnt an issue, I would have gotten the Comptech, but i chose the k&n. I got it mostly for noise and throttle reponse. A used comptech costs the same as a new k&N
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also when it comes to buying intakes stay on top of Craigslist and the for sale section in here. They pop up constantly but I had a dry spell for a couple months and decided to buy mine new from K&N in they're ebay store. It used to be $225 shipped but its now about $240+

You can also find other people that sell them on there used but just make sure you get the one with the carb stamp on it. They cost the same and you can't get crap for it if you by chance get pulled over.

Quick Reply: intake decision