California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Insurance question

Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance question

I got rear ended a couple of weeks back (not the S2000, my other car) so I filed a claim with his insurance co (Mercury). It's been 2 weeks now but Mercury says they can't make payment until they speak with their insured (guy who hit me hasn't been answering calls). And Mercury keeps telling me to file with my insurance co (Wawanesa, great ins co btw). Also Mercury seems to be implying that they really don't know if the accident even happened since they haven't spoken to their insured person??? I guess I just happen to have all of this person's ins info and driver's license # hmmmmmm. It really is some minor paint scratche and dents to the rear bumper, prolly $1000 max damage, no police report.

Anyways, is there anything I can do in this situation? Wawanesa has been great btw. Wawanesa said they spoke with the other person and he admitted fault so they can process the claim but i'll have to pay $500 deductible which I "should" get back from Mercury once it goes into subrogation. But I really don't feel that my ins co should get involved as I don't want my ins premium to increase even though technically they shouldn't raise my ins for a not at fault collision.......anything I can do? should I file with my ins co? Wait it out with Mercury? Is there a time limit to this thing or will I never get my car fixed if he never calls Mercury back?

This is my 2nd time getting rear ended in the past year.....1st was a total loss
Any advice appreciated
Old 09-13-2006, 01:38 PM

I would call your provider. It should save you alot of hassle and shouldn't make your rates go up.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Sep 13 2006, 01:38 PM
I would call your provider. It should save you alot of hassle and shouldn't make your rates go up.
I don't want to do that because

1) I don't want to shell out the $500 deductible. My ins co will "try" to get the $500 back for me via subrogation but no guarantee if I'll see that $500 back and who knows when i'll get that $500 back.

2) Every time I apply for insurance, the application says "List all claims you've made to your ins co REGARDLESS OF FAULT". Ins co's say that 'not at fault' accident's won't affect rates but I tend to think that it does (esp if you have a lot of 'not at fault' accidents). I agree it "shouldn't make your rates go up" but who knows........
Old 09-13-2006, 02:05 PM

It did not make my rates go up. And you probably won't get the extra $500 any sooner regardless of which company you communicate with. My company actually waived my deductible once in this type of situation. Then they put a collection agency on the other guy.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Sep 13 2006, 02:05 PM
It did not make my rates go up. And you probably won't get the extra $500 any sooner regardless of which company you communicate with. My company actually waived my deductible once in this type of situation. Then they put a collection agency on the other guy.
ah ic, thanks for the response. I think I'll give it another couple of weeks and if nothing happens just go through my ins co. The damage is all cosmetic so in no rush.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 PM

Let your own insurance co. deal with Mercury.
Re: $500 ded., demand from your insurance co. that they waive
it since it's not your fault you got rear ended.

good luck!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:34 PM

I didn't know you could get your deductible waived. I'll try asking thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call up my insurance company and get them involved. It's in their interest to get on the case and get payment from the other insurance company. If you have a police report showing the other party at fault, it shouldn't be too hard. If you wait a few weeks before contacting your insurance company, they are going to wonder why.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:48 PM

I agree with everyone that you should go through your insurance company. After all, that is one of the reasons WHY we have insurance in the first place.

On a side note... Good to see another Wawanesa policy holder! My bf also has them... They would have been the cheapest insurance for me, as well (especially with max coverage), but I was able to get a killer deal with AAA because my Mom has been with them for over 30 years. LOL
Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM

My insurance co is involved. I called them the day of the accident and i have an adjuster and a claim # with my insurance co. BUT I have not actually asked Wawanesa (my ins co) to process my claim and get an adjuster to look at the damages. Wawanesa adjuster has been great and called the guy that hit me and had him to admit fault. Mercury (other ins co) can't seem to get in contact with him. Wawanesa adjuster even called the Mercury adjuster and told her that the he admitted fault, but Mercury still needs to talk with the guy before they can process the claim

Also Wawanesa adjusters always seem to answer their phone call. This Mercury adjuster I've gotten voicemail every time

Quick Reply: Insurance question