California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

I'm an idiot -spare key stuck in ignition HELP

Old 05-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be able to hold the plastic end of your regular key right up to the ignition and start the car so you can drive it.

This happened to a friend of mine and the hardware store paid for a locksmith to get the key out.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what boost said, get a locksmith.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:57 AM

Yea, not sure about passing a bill on to the hardware store - but we'll see how much it is first... anyone wanna take a guess?

It isn't stuck in one position, it is on the accessory position now (radio works) and I can turn it on the ON position so the car can be started but I can't turn it back all the way to get it out! I'll try to start it w my Honda key help up to the ignition when I get home. HEADBANG
Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by boostftw,May 23 2010, 07:43 PM
call a locksmith and pass the bill to the store manager at the hardware store. Im serious, my aunt had the same problem and the store paid her bills.
i agree with boots, call the store and see what there warranty/guarantee is on keys?
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Done. Called hardware store right after work and he told me to use plyers.. I tried to push in harder but I didn't wanna break the ignition. Finally convinced him a locksmith would be the only way to get it out. Locksmith comes over 10 min later, and pulls it out in a minute.

Verdict, hardware store gave me a key that was too short, so the shoulder on the retaining clip wouldnt release to let me get it to the off position. Needless to say, lesson learned. Thanks for the help.

While we are on the topic, my car never came w keyless entry fobs, so I'm assuming it doesn't have it. If i want to put it on the car, I have to see if the module is there, right? Check under the seat? They buy Honda key fobs and program them? Are there more steps?

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Just buy a honda fob and program. Your car came standard with keyless entry.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by animal,May 25 2010, 10:08 AM
Done. Called hardware store right after work and he told me to use plyers.. I tried to push in harder but I didn't wanna break the ignition. Finally convinced him a locksmith would be the only way to get it out. Locksmith comes over 10 min later, and pulls it out in a minute.

Verdict, hardware store gave me a key that was too short, so the shoulder on the retaining clip wouldnt release to let me get it to the off position. Needless to say, lesson learned. Thanks for the help.

While we are on the topic, my car never came w keyless entry fobs, so I'm assuming it doesn't have it. If i want to put it on the car, I have to see if the module is there, right? Check under the seat? They buy Honda key fobs and program them? Are there more steps?

Thanks!
Told ya! Don't sit there and waste your time if you paid for a key cut and it doesn't work just call a locksmith and pass the bill.

The hardware store near my house doesn't even charge to cut keys anymore because of that problem. They will cut them for free but you can't come back and complain if it doesn't work

glad you resolved your problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,May 25 2010, 11:39 AM
Just buy a honda fob and program. Your car came standard with keyless entry.
[QUOTE]Just buy a honda fob and program. Your car came standard with keyless entry.[QUOTE]

So all 2003 s2k's came with it? So did one of the previous owners lose the fob or what?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

[QUOTE=animal,May 25 2010, 01:43 PM] [QUOTE]Just buy a honda fob and program. Your car came standard with keyless entry.

So all 2003 s2k's came with it? So did one of the previous owners lose the fob or what?
It came with 2 s2000 keys, 2 fobs and 2 valet keys.

If I knew what your previous owner did with them, I wouldn't be working a day job
Old 05-25-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2,May 25 2010, 12:57 PM
If I knew what your previous owner did with them, I wouldn't be working a day job

on a note...
To program:
Close doors, hood, trunk.
1. Ignition ON.
2. Within 1-4 secs. push lock or unlock while aiming the remote at the receiver.
3. Within 1-4 secs, turn OFF ignition.
4. Within 1-4 secs, turn ON ign.
5. Within 1-4 secs, repeat (2.)
6. Within 1-4 secs, turn OFF ign.
7. Within 4 secs, turn ON ign.
8. Within 1-4 secs, repeat (2.)
9. Within 1-4 secs, turn OFF ign.
10. Within 4 secs, turn ON ign.
11. Within 1-4 secs, repeat (2.)
12. Confirm that you hear the door lock actuators. Within 1-4 secs, push the transmitter lock or unlock button again. The keyless receiver is now in the program mode. You must push the transmitter lock or unlock button of the first transmitter again to program that remote.
13. Within 10 secs, aim the transmitters (up to three) whose codes you want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
14. Turn ign. OFF, and pull out the key.
15. Confirm the operation of the new codes.

Quick Reply: I'm an idiot -spare key stuck in ignition HELP