California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Hwy1 North of the Bay

Old 08-22-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hwy1 North of the Bay

WOW: Just got done enjoying your "Honda S2000 Treasure Island Mega Meet - Pictures/Videos" album; the S2000 is greatly appreciated in the Bay Area.

Needed to see if anyone could provide info about Hwy1 just North of San Francisco. We are leaving Carmel 9/12 and would like to get a feel for the Coast road conditions on our way back to Portland OR. Caltrans Quick-Map didn't show any major issues up the coast currently. Some parts of Hwy 1 look pretty tiny/narrow so was just trying to get a feel how a trip on Hwy1 (and occasionally 101) would be like.

Thank you for your time. Steve & Rebecca.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lotplot
WOW: Just got done enjoying your "Honda S2000 Treasure Island Mega Meet - Pictures/Videos" album; the S2000 is greatly appreciated in the Bay Area.

Needed to see if anyone could provide info about Hwy1 just North of San Francisco. We are leaving Carmel 9/12 and would like to get a feel for the Coast road conditions on our way back to Portland OR. Caltrans Quick-Map didn't show any major issues up the coast currently. Some parts of Hwy 1 look pretty tiny/narrow so was just trying to get a feel how a trip on Hwy1 (and occasionally 101) would be like.

HWY 1; the portion of it that you'll be on, is paved immaculately. The road itself is great. However, it's also a tourist coast, so it's notorious for moving at slower than it should be speeds. As you're going north, you do have to be slightly careful of rubble from the cliffside; but I've never actually encountered any sprawled out across the road or anything. The view is immaculate. The lanes aren't that tight; but you are on a cliffside 2 lane highway, so they're not ginormous either. It's my second favorite drive within a reasonable distance.

*Note: I don't recall going too much farther up 1 than Point Reyes. So if you're going farther than that on 1, what I say may or may not be relevant.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Marin County and drive along the 1 all the time. Fabulous for the S2K. Nothing to worry about. Best for a leisurely top down ride looking at the country side and sea-scapes.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Absolutely beautiful! I've been up as far as Gualala and it's such a majestic road. I agree with Kaputnik, drop the top and enjoy!
Old 08-22-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lotplot

Thanks Steve and Rebecca! I always drive along HW1 and the roads has always been well maintained and smooth along the northern part of california. All I can say when driving along HW1 especially when u hit around Stinson's beach, u will hit major traffic since it's a tourist area. It will be mostly bumper-to-bumper and at times and barely moving. Most people just walk out of their cars and look at the ocean scenery. 101 is faster but HW1 us the breathtaking view, especially top-down always! Not sure about past Tomales Bay Point though from SF.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing to worry about traffic wise after Stinson
Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can make it up this far on 1 I definitely recommend it. What an awesome section of road.

My wife and I have driven to Gleneden by route of 1/101 and it's a super nice drive.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive only heard good things.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM

I've driven all of 1 between Carmel and Point Arena at various times in the last 9 months... It does get a bit sparse once you're north of Bodega Bay so keep an eye on your fuel gauge. Otherwise, nothing too crazy - a great trip through the woods along the coast once you're north of Point Reyes. Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:19 PM

Thanks for all your info, looks like a go. Will probably linger longer on the Coast now. S & R

Quick Reply: Hwy1 North of the Bay