California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?

Old 12-15-2013, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, if you have two way insurance, you shouldn't worry about it at all. I live in the bayview district. I park my car outside sometime when im lazy to park it in the garage. No biggie, it got keyed 2 times and insurance covered it.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Don't believe what is posted here. I drive my s2000 everywhere and park it top down, windows up.

If people are going to steal your car they will, that's what insurance is for, don't be an ass and most people will leave you alone.

Today I was at San Ramon Whole Foods and parked my cheap BMW that costs maybe 1/4 of the Bentley on my driver side and a Maserati coupe on my passenger side. My point is way too many 100k cars around here for people to care bout your cheap Honda
You should know that cheap cars are WAY more likely to be stolen than something like a Bentley or Maserati. Be realistic. The reason you are less likely to get your car jacked parking someplace like whole foods is because you are in an affluent area.

Look up the statistics on most commonly stolen cars. It's always something like a Toyota or Honda or Nissan. And not necessarily the most expensive model.

There are many ways to be a thief in the car world beyond actually stealing something...look within your heart.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't believe what is posted here. I drive my s2000 everywhere and park it top down, windows up.

If people are going to steal your car they will, that's what insurance is for, don't be an ass and most people will leave you alone.

Today I was at San Ramon Whole Foods and parked my cheap BMW that costs maybe 1/4 of the Bentley on my driver side and a Maserati coupe on my passenger side. My point is way too many 100k cars around here for people to care bout your cheap Honda
Are you saying there's a Whole Foods INSIDE of your gated community. Pretty sweet.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:24 PM

Silas, quit getting your stuff stolen!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1387088743' post='22923304

You should know that cheap cars are WAY more likely to be stolen than something like a Bentley or Maserati. Be realistic. The reason you are less likely to get your car jacked parking someplace like whole foods is because you are in an affluent area.

Look up the statistics on most commonly stolen cars. It's always something like a Toyota or Honda or Nissan. And not necessarily the most expensive model.

There are many ways to be a thief in the car world beyond actually stealing something...look within your heart.

Very true, cheaper cars do tend to be stolen I agree there. Part of the reason is the theory that owners of expensive cars are less likely to shop for parts on craigslist thus no demand. The fact that a Bentley is harder to steal might also be a factor.

Too many ricers lust for our poor s2000 parts so it's like open hunting season I guess!

I know many of you are gun owners so what we did with friends is to put a warning gun owner sticker on the car, might help to ward of some crooks
Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gizzard
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1387088743' post='22923304

Are you saying there's a Whole Foods INSIDE of your gated community. Pretty sweet.
We have a vending machine at the clubhouse does that count?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman' timestamp='1387137914' post='22923835
[quote name='s4play' timestamp='1387088743' post='22923304']

Very true, cheaper cars do tend to be stolen I agree there. Part of the reason is the theory that owners of expensive cars are less likely to shop for parts on craigslist thus no demand. The fact that a Bentley is harder to steal might also be a factor.

Too many ricers lust for our poor s2000 parts so it's like open hunting season I guess!

I know many of you are gun owners so what we did with friends is to put a warning gun owner sticker on the car, might help to ward of some crooks
[/quote]

I don't how I feel about rolling around though with a sticker of my gun on my car though. Could be a good, and bad thing..
Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best part of having a gun is that nobody knows you have one. Also I'd be more afraid of crazy ladies and their shopping cars at Whole Foods. Especially around this time of the year. My Wholefoods isn't huge, but when I stopped by for a quick Thanksgiving shopping, it was CRAZY!
Old 12-27-2013, 06:43 PM

Just accept it'll probably happen so make sure you have a comprehensive deductible you can afford. Don't leave valuables in the car or turn up the stereo to attract attention near places you will park. Be more cautious in certain areas (I'm back and forth between Cupertino, San Jose, and Oakland.....I know of two break-ins in Oakland within 5 mins of parking of their cars).

Gun stickers or anything for that matter won't do shit. Even having a gun. Highly unlikely you will catch someone in the act and if you do, are you really gonna shoot them? Don't get me wrong, I believe I have the right to shoot someone stealing or vandalizing my property, but our system will have us (the real victim) thrown in prison with the quickness.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM

lots of good advice here. drop the deductable down to 100 or 250 if u can. I like to leave the top down when i park so criminals can get into the car easier. Otherwise they slash the top only to discover their is nothign valuable inside.

Quick Reply: How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?