California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, don't leave any valuable that a thief can easily see and break-in to steal.
I don't plan on leaving anything in the car, not that there's really any room to leave anything xD. However, do any of you have experience with the Blackvue camera? Is it very obvious when it's mounted? I am getting one for when I am driving, but I wonder if i should get the parking attachment for it as well. It is to record if anything happens in the parking lot, but I don't want it to be the reason that something happens. Seems counter intuitive especially since if they break in to steal it, you won't have the video anyways.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Being the owner of an s2000 which was stolen in LA and recovered stripped in Washington I'm certainly a believer that this car is a theft magnet to a certain degree.

I think most of the suggestions you got are perfect. You have to have a feel for your surroundings and be smart about where you park it.

There are so many philosophies about how to protect a car, some are paradoxical, for example:

1. Does installing an aftermarket alarm with a bunch of flashing indicators just let thrives know you have something extra special to hide? OR, do tinting windows, putting up a windshield sun screen, or religiously covering your car when you park tell thrives know you have something special to hide,

2. Do you park with the top down because you fear someone will slash your top? Or, do you park with the top up hoping someone will cut your already torn top so you can make an insurance claim?

3. Do I park all alone in the back of a lot to prevent door dings, or do I park right smack dab in the middle/front of the lot? Many would argue for either from a theft prevention standpoint.

In my case it's pretty hard to be incognito in a parking lot with a bright yellow car with a "medium" sized wing on the trunk, but i chose not to get an alarm, often will put my windshield sun screen up, roll with tinted windows, don't cover my car in public, and often park in the way front or way back of a lot.

I think comprehensive insurance is a must with the s2000, with a deductible that makes sense ($500-$250).

The only thing I've had stolen from my car since I got it was the side markers on the fenders.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taifei
Hi, I'm a new owner in the Bay Area, mainly UC down to SJ. It's only my 4th day of ownership. I'm curious to know how bad the theft and vandalism situation is here on our area because currently I cannot find myself to leave the car unattended when I'm out. Always parking next to windows and never taking it out anywhere where I will be away for more than a few minutes. Mainly this is because I do not have seat locks yet but it seems like he just got his shipment in and will be taking orders again soon. How many of you are just as paranoid about your s2000? A simple soft top slash/vandalism is enough to ruin your day/week/month. How many of you would or would not park your car say at... Great Mall and go walk around for an hour or 2. Mainly asking those running with soft tops but I hear people target hardtops as well these days.
I can completely relate to the anxiety you feel not having seat locks. I experienced the exact same fears as I waited for my seat locks to arrive. It felt like an eternity had gone by when the locks finally arrived. I believe it took almost a month. Of course, this was four years ago.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My s2000 ownership started in 2007, and over the course of 4 S2000's in reverse chronological order:
S2000 specific BBS LM's stolen (they were still on craigslist a week ago lol but not my problem anymore.)
VIS CF hardtop (one of the original mugen style ones)
3 soft tops slashed
3 sets of seats stolen
for the BBS LM's, my entire car was stolen and recovered a day later.

I still don't lose any sleep over S2000 ownership, if it's something you worry about constantly you're better off getting another car. Personally, I'm a bit tired of the S2000, but then again I went through the trouble of mechanically rebuilding/replacing everything already so I might as well enjoy it.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dagle
My s2000 ownership started in 2007, and over the course of 4 S2000's in reverse chronological order:
S2000 specific BBS LM's stolen (they were still on craigslist a week ago lol but not my problem anymore.)
VIS CF hardtop (one of the original mugen style ones)
3 soft tops slashed
3 sets of seats stolen
for the BBS LM's, my entire car was stolen and recovered a day later.

I still don't lose any sleep over S2000 ownership, if it's something you worry about constantly you're better off getting another car. Personally, I'm a bit tired of the S2000, but then again I went through the trouble of mechanically rebuilding/replacing everything already so I might as well enjoy it.
Any sense of why you were targeted ? Other than being a complete baller?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I refuse to lose sleep over my car.. I have but a few grand in it between the top/suspension and rims and insurance will cover it. If they want it then so be it, The way I see it I do my part by living in a good area and always locking my car up. I don't need cutoffs and alarms because they are a waste of time/money.

I bought the car ultimately because I didn't want to have to worry about theft. I dealt with it so much having my civic that I've become numb to the thought of it.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Can't let it consume you. If it happens, it happens. Just do the normal things like parking in good spots and not leaving things in the car that would tempt people. Enjoy the car and don't let the worrying ruin the experience.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
I refuse to lose sleep over my car.. I have but a few grand in it between the top/suspension and rims and insurance will cover it. If they want it then so be it, The way I see it I do my part by living in a good area and always locking my car up. I don't need cutoffs and alarms because they are a waste of time/money.

I bought the car ultimately because I didn't want to have to worry about theft. I dealt with it so much having my civic that I've become numb to the thought of it.

sounds like my old ITR LOL, I got used to it disappearing a few times
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M-Type
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1387059781' post='22922939

sounds like my old ITR LOL, I got used to it disappearing a few times
You know lol.. The older I've gotten the less I worry about this kind of stuff, Probably because I learned my lesson from when I was younger and stopped investing so much money in cars.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't believe what is posted here. I drive my s2000 everywhere and park it top down, windows up.

If people are going to steal your car they will, that's what insurance is for, don't be an ass and most people will leave you alone.

Today I was at San Ramon Whole Foods and parked my cheap BMW that costs maybe 1/4 of the Bentley on my driver side and a Maserati coupe on my passenger side. My point is way too many 100k cars around here for people to care bout your cheap Honda

Quick Reply: How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?