California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?

Hi, I'm a new owner in the Bay Area, mainly UC down to SJ. It's only my 4th day of ownership. I'm curious to know how bad the theft and vandalism situation is here on our area because currently I cannot find myself to leave the car unattended when I'm out. Always parking next to windows and never taking it out anywhere where I will be away for more than a few minutes. Mainly this is because I do not have seat locks yet but it seems like he just got his shipment in and will be taking orders again soon. How many of you are just as paranoid about your s2000? A simple soft top slash/vandalism is enough to ruin your day/week/month. How many of you would or would not park your car say at... Great Mall and go walk around for an hour or 2. Mainly asking those running with soft tops but I hear people target hardtops as well these days.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lock your doors, don't leave any valuables out. Lock your glove box if you park with the top down (not that you would right now). Common sense stuff.
I live in south San Jose and have had my car for almost a year - other convertibles for three - and haven't had an issue.

No idea on hardtops, as I've never owned one. FWIW, I'd rather get my soft top slashed than have to deal with having a hard top stolen. I imagine toplocs exist for the S2000; someone more knowledgeable than I will certainly weigh in.

I don't think stolen seats are as much an issue as they were some years ago, but seat locks are a good idea.

Get full coverage if you can, with a low deductible: if your shit gets stolen, you want to be able to recover something. Also, get renter's insurance to cover the stuff in your car that might get stolen (My insurance considers anything bolted to the car as covered by car insurance; anything else is covered under renter's insurance.)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 AM

It's not bad at all but like it was stated above, just keep to the normal basics, lock your doors, keep valuables out of sight, lock the glove box. The typical. I've had my S for almost three years and I don't live in the best neighborhood but I do park outside everyday. So far the worst thing that happened so far was having my front lip stolen by a neighbors kid. As far as Great Mall, I've gone shopping for black friday and left it hours on hand without a worry. Just keep stuff that can be seen that may be valuable out of view and you'll be fine.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 AM

That's a bit more comforting. Planning on adding a Blackvue and an alarm system once time/funds allow. I keep it garaged. I just know in my old neighborhood there were a few spoiled thugs (rich parents with wannabe gangsters kids) who would vandalize cars. The way the younger generations act these days make me worried one would cut my top just for the hell of it the moment I step into a restaurant. First convertible I've owned if you can't tell already.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My car is modded and I take it everywhere. It's not as bad as you think. Simple alarm is an ok theft deterrent. But comprehensive insurance will cover any damage to ur car if someone breaks in. You can get a aftermarket steering wheel with quick release and lock if u think someone will take off with it. I don't have anything in my car other then my radar detector. I park my car in a public parking lot everyday and nothing has happened to it.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:25 PM

somebody tried slashing my soft top when i just installed a new OEM one, but all they did was ended up scratching it, i am thinking it was some bum trying to see what i had in there or maybe he saw hella change i keep in the cupholder. (i keep it closed now) any self respecting thief would have cut that top in no time.

and had my front lip stolen a week or so ago.

but i live in SF

edit: my antenna got stolen too
Old 12-12-2013, 05:41 PM

I have full coverage but I just don't want to go through that whole ordeal especially seeing how long it took me just to find one not molested/slammed in this area (and paid a premium). I might be extra paranoid because my car is Rio Yellow. It just stands out in a parking lot. Good to hear vandalism is going down. Few years ago my friend has his top cut right in his driveway. Didn't look like they were even trying to look for something (or they heard him running down the stairs). There's just so many threads on the forums about stolen parts that gets me all nervous when parking in public. Thanks for the responses! Hope to see few of you when my schedule frees up... Holiday sucks.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If someone is going to steal your car, they will steal it at all cost. But if you don't want to be a victim, don't be an asshole on the road/parking lot. Hide all your stuff and lock the glove box. Number 1 stolen items off the S are tips, side markers and center caps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah just stay low key and park in open areas where the car can be easily seen.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I park my car everywhere in San Francisco either in Sunset, Inner Richmond, Geary, Lombard, Fillmore, Chinatown, North Beach, Embarcadero, Pier 39, Mission, Tenderloin, parking garages(still can get broken into), Serramonte Shopping Center(really bad theft parking area daytime+nightime) etc...Daly City, daytime or night time, nothing has ever happened to my car. It's been 5+ years *knock on wood*. I have a whole lot of mods but nothing. The only thing that got stolen was my first couple months of ownership my $20 antenna got stolen twice in front of my house on the driveway. Other than that...nothing. I park my car topdown as well for hours.

Basically, when you park your car 'anywhere,' you would want to ultimately park where the public(free foot traffic witness bystander) can see your car and hopefully they are the ones to protect your car from being harmed. It doesn't matter what your car has, if a thief really wants your car, or items in your car, they will do anything to steal it. Like I said, I still will always park my car anywhere as long as there are people able to witness a theft/property damage event, and if not, park it where your car is within view and you can hear your car being tempered with. Good luck

Also, don't leave any valuable that a thief can easily see and break-in to steal.

Quick Reply: How is the theft and vandalism situation in the Bay Area?