California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

How do you get rid of hiccups

Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fwdsucks,Jul 20 2007, 12:08 AM
Wow...that's a good one. I almost believe you for a sec.

Quote from wiki "One possible beneficial effect of hiccups is to dislodge foreign pieces of food, which have become stuck in the esophagus, or which are traveling too slowly. When a piece of food is swallowed that is too large for the natural peristalsis of the esophagus to move the food quickly into the stomach, it applies pressure on the phrenic nerve, invoking the hiccup reflex. "
I don't know how much i'd trust wiki since info can be edited by the average joe.

i do trust bill nye though.

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/col...icle=BN_Hiccups

"We humans breathe through our nose or mouth. For a short way, the air moves down or up the same passage that we use for swallowing--our throat*. We have a muscular trapdoor in our throat that keeps the stuff intended for our stomach from going down our trachea, the windpipe connected to our lungs. This vital valve is our good ol' epiglottis*. To keep inhaled air from going down your esophagus (your stomach tube), and to keep food and saliva from going down your trachea, your epiglottis is working all the time. It's a swinging door that's always moving and always closing pretty hard one way or the other.

Because all of this action is connected to breathing, your diaphragm* (the big breathing muscle below your lungs) gets into the act, as well. You can't be inhaling or exhaling and swallowing at the same time, even if you breathe through your nose. The diaphragm can't be pulling air down or pushing air up while saliva or food is coming down your throat. All of the actions of all these muscles have to be coordinated by your brain.

Once in a while, often when you find yourself eating a bit too quickly, your brain sends conflicting signals to your diaphragm and epiglottis: "Close the esophagus and open the trachea--no, wait. I mean, pull the diaphragm and open the--hold it--I mean the food tube--no, the windpipe. Wait. Now, swallow and breathe. Yikes!" Once in a while your diaphragm contracts and forces air through your glottis, and you feel a bump and often hear that "heek" sound. That's when you have the hiccups.

The way to stop the hiccups seems to be to provide a new clear signal to your body--either a signal for swallowing or breathing. That's why for some people, it helps to hold a breath. For others, swallowing several sips of water in succession does the trick. You have to clear or overwhelm the confusing diaphragm-glottal-epiglottal noise. You can do it. Just swallow; I mean, hold your breath. Hiccup--I mean ... "

case closed.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill Nye looks funny, I don't believe him!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 PM

good for you.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 PM

you guys are all wrong. hiccups are magical!
Old 07-20-2007, 05:46 PM

lol righttt buddy
Old 07-20-2007, 05:50 PM

Have someone punch you in the throat.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 AM

BBBJ
Old 07-25-2007, 08:45 PM

i havent have any hiccups for 7 years , when i was in 8th grade i got hiccup in classroom for a while and everybody were laughing and teacher though i was doin it onporpose and slaped me , i swear after that never had any hiccups

but the way to get rid of it is, close your noise holes and drink water
Old 07-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Take a 3/4 spoonful of sugar, fill the rest with some white vinegar. Put spoon in mouth and eat contents. It will more than likely get rid of your hiccups. Its disgusting.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:56 PM

vinegar iyykkk

Quick Reply: How do you get rid of hiccups