California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Hit something today on 680, do I have any options?

Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Must have been something nasty to dent your rim.

Maybe you can call into CHP to find out if they have information. While it would be nice to not pay a dime, you might find that to do so requires too much of your time - thus you aren't ahead.

Silver lining, it wasn't a nasty multi-car pileup that resulted in deaths. Most people are asleep on the road at that time.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Before repairs start, get a quote from your mechanic (make sure the entire parts list is there of every thing) and price it out with OEM parts with your claims adjuster because your car was pristine prior to the accident. Work out the estimate/repairs item by item and see what the quote/estimate comes out to be. Then afterwards, request a check (they usually try to avoid the topic, but it is always an option.). Make sure you take the CHECK and NOT the repairs. The reason is that you can get parts for cheaper than the insurance company quotes and you can recover your deductible (and in most cases, way more than the deductible.).

In this case I'm not sure what the best scenario is because they will want to deem you at fault. If they claim the car is a total loss, that may drastically affect your rates. I would really suggest trying to find out what happened, because if it was a pothole, crack in the road, etc. you can file a claim with the city. After you speak with your claims adjuster (the guy OK-ing the repairs or looking over the car), you can call the claims hotline (some phone operator CSR person) and see how your rates would be affected.

Just call in and ask "If I have one at-fault accident with approximately XXXX$ in damage, how much will my rates increase?" and then ask "What if my S2000 was totaled completely? how much would my rates be then?" to see what the best case is. Judging from the look of it you should definitely take the car to an autobody & frame shop to have everything measured to be safe. I would think that the insurance company might consider totalling out the car since wheels/suspension/parts/subframe+radsupports add up probably close to 10k at dealership prices when all is said and done. Good luck with everything
Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
I hadn't even considered, being considered at fault for this. My mind didn't even go there.
The information I learned form s2ki when I intersected an object was that:

a. if the object was moving, its a comprehensive claim (which doesnt raise insurance, and doesnt put a point on license).

b. if the object was not moving, the expectation is that you could have braked/avoided it if traveling at a safe speed, and then its a collision claim (which raises rates)

c. insurance is required to reimburse you for all OEM replacement parts, and you should take their check, then put non-oem, or fix some but not all if its possible, and pocket the difference (for example, they owe you for a brand new oem wheel, and you are hunting down a used one, so you will make back some of that deductible there)
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not that I'm sure too many care, but I feel very blessed right now. I got the dreaded call from the shop...

Damages were roughly 9k per the estimate... and statefarm isn't contesting anything. They're filing it 100% as comprehensive. I didn't even have to talk to the adjuster. Sure I'm shelling out a grand in the deductible; but with all the possible headaches that could have resulted from this incident, this has to be the best possible result. I should have her back somewhere between 2-3 weeks.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy shit... $9k?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear things turned out better than expected ...

I still would like to know what you hit to get that kind of damage, though. I guess even if you take great care of your car and drive carefully, stuff like this still happens.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad everything is working out for you
Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Not that I'm sure too many care, but I feel very blessed right now. I got the dreaded call from the shop...

Damages were roughly 9k per the estimate... and statefarm isn't contesting anything. They're filing it 100% as comprehensive. I didn't even have to talk to the adjuster. Sure I'm shelling out a grand in the deductible; but with all the possible headaches that could have resulted from this incident, this has to be the best possible result. I should have her back somewhere between 2-3 weeks.
It's crazy what it adds up to.

Glad they aren't giving you any trouble and just fixing it. Gieco was the same with us in both cases. Make sure you get new Honda parts if you can.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that's brutal !!! $9k
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear everything worked out for you, i believe mine was around 7-8k worth of damage
its the oem parts msrp and labor cost that drives it up

Quick Reply: Hit something today on 680, do I have any options?