California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Hit something today on 680, do I have any options?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hit something today on 680, do I have any options?

So this morning commuting to work at about 5:40Am on 680S inbetween Olympic and S. Main St. I hit a random object. And by random object I mean, I still don't know what I hit. This random object also disabled a new Mercedes 350, a oil tanker, and a Ford E series van. I got personal info from the Mercedes driver, the tanker seemed occupied and the Ford was way up the freeway. I've already filed a claim with my insurance, and it's at the shop. I get to bite a $1000 deductible, yippy (my fault, thought I set it at 500, guess not). There is damage done to the frame on the driver side, where the fender is.

Visible damage inside, they kinda load big
Spoiler

So I guess I'm curious. Has anyone had this happen to them / a series of drivers? I literally don't know if I hit something, if it was the road, or what. I'm very puzzled. I called CHP, a officer showed up 30 minutes later, and basically said "Oh, there's not an accident? No need to file a report" and bounced. Do I have any options, people to contact, etc. Or is this one of those unlucky times, where I just have to foot the bill and no one is responsible?

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get her back. I already miss her.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're good with your insurance you can talk to them and see what they can do. Is comp and collision set at a thousand dollars?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by macr88
If you're good with your insurance you can talk to them and see what they can do. Is comp and collision set at a thousand dollars?
Yea, I've started the claims process and the car's already at the shop. I'm square with coughing up the grand, that's not the issue. I guess I left my old premius from my sentra on there, and just had the coverage transferred? I also apparently didn't have rental car insurance; oops. That's all good. My own choices/mistakes.

I guess I'm just more curious for "justice" reasons. A double oil tanker was downed, a mercedes, another freight van... that's a lot of inconvenience for a lot of people. Just wish there was a way to find out who's accountable, for all the carnage. It also, put me off how disinterested the CHP was in the fact that a random object downed 4 vehicles. You would think that multiple calls from multiple people about their vehicles being damaged from something mysterious would interest them a little more. Took her 30 minutes, and didn't even slow down traffic to observe if anything was there.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. The object was moving.
2. See if you can lower deductible mid-process. That was an option for me.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something exactly like this happened to me, you can look for my thread in the bay area section.

chp won't care if no one is hurt

what insurance are you with?

you are most likely going to be at fault

a few things you can do, keep talking to your insurance company/demand to talk to manager etc anything

I bugged mine for weeks until they finally reconsidered amd concluded it wasn't my fault, they put down I was 40%(so I get no point on record) at fault due to it being too dark to see clearly(accident was at around 1am or so)

if you have questions you can pm me as well
good luck
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It happened to me before on 280 right after I left 19th Ave SFSU southbound. Some amigo in his pick-up dropped his portable gasoline gas blower and all these cars swerve over it except me because it was a split second and there was cars right next to me so I hit it BAAAM!! and it damaged my front bumper, front OEM lip and DownForce CF splitter. Damage was over $1k for sure but I couldn't prove it or catch who it was an I ended up paying for the repair all by myself. Good luck hopefully insurance will help you.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:07 PM

This thread reminded me to mount up on insurance coverage.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
This thread reminded me to mount up on insurance coverage.
Very wise.

Definitely kicking myself a bit, for apparently cheaping out on my deductible (though, it wasn't by intention). Hopefully this thread reminds people, shit usually hits the fan out of nowhere, and be slightly better prepared than I was. Luckily my very helpful family is donating/rotating cars I can use til the S is back, and a grand is a small price to pay all things considered.

Ima the shit out of her when I get her back though.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by chViETnk
something exactly like this happened to me, you can look for my thread in the bay area section.chp won't care if no one is hurtwhat insurance are you with? you are most likely going to be at faulta few things you can do, keep talking to your insurance company/demand to talk to manager etc anythingI bugged mine for weeks until they finally reconsidered amd concluded it wasn't my fault, they put down I was 40%(so I get no point on record) at fault due to it being too dark to see clearly(accident was at around 1am or so)if you have questions you can pm me as wellgood luck
Originally Posted by XenonKiller99
It happened to me before on 280 right after I left 19th Ave SFSU southbound. Some amigo in his pick-up dropped his portable gasoline gas blower and all these cars swerve over it except me because it was a split second and there was cars right next to me so I hit it BAAAM!! and it damaged my front bumper, front OEM lip and DownForce CF splitter. Damage was over $1k for sure but I couldn't prove it or catch who it was an I ended up paying for the repair all by myself. Good luck hopefully insurance will help you.
Thanks for the insider info

I hadn't even considered, being considered at fault for this. My mind didn't even go there. I'll give you a pm chvietnk if I get drowned in the process, thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 09:24 PM

Oh man, the damage looks painful

I am very curious as to what could do that kind of damage. When you pulled over, was the object gone? Not sure if I missed that in the story or not.

I'm surprised the CHP did not do more in this case. I have seen CHP officers halt / slow down traffic for road debris before. Maybe if there was nothing in the road, they just care less.

Quick Reply: Hit something today on 680, do I have any options?