California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help! Wheel click / squealing sound just started

Old 12-03-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Nate. Sorry to hear this wasn't as smooth of an install as possible. I'm wondering if you should switch back to your old rims/tires, just as a way to remove some of the variables involved. Since you had so many changes at once, it must be hard to deduce what happened. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I #$@#$@#$ figured it out . It wasn't my wheel bearing or my brakes. I jacked the car up and looked and no clicks no resistance no noise no wiggle. Giving up I let the car down and just for kicks push it in neutral. Suddenly...A CLICK WTF. Turns out my friend didn't tighten any of the lugs on my front rim last night. I even asked him to make sure and he was like yea its done.. 4 of the 5 lugs were on the end of the thread!!!! I'm so @#$@#$ lucky I'm not dead. Tightened everything back down and drove it. Coast is clear no more noise.

The super loose lugs explains the noise I heard, and the vibrations from the car. FUUuuuuuuuu
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...if I change tires or adjust my ride height I double torque check my lugs. Good thing you weren't sliding on rotors on the freeway. Now drive that thing like it's meant to
Old 12-03-2011, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rydelow
Wow...if I change tires or adjust my ride height I double torque check my lugs. Good thing you weren't sliding on rotors on the freeway. Now drive that thing like it's meant to
:facepalm: I know, I know man. I feel like a total idiot for not checking myself.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fujin
So I #$@#$@#$ figured it out . It wasn't my wheel bearing or my brakes. I jacked the car up and looked and no clicks no resistance no noise no wiggle. Giving up I let the car down and just for kicks push it in neutral. Suddenly...A CLICK WTF. Turns out my friend didn't tighten any of the lugs on my front rim last night. I even asked him to make sure and he was like yea its done.. 4 of the 5 lugs were on the end of the thread!!!! I'm so @#$@#$ lucky I'm not dead. Tightened everything back down and drove it. Coast is clear no more noise.

The super loose lugs explains the noise I heard, and the vibrations from the car. FUUuuuuuuuu
Wow now that is sketch. I once left a mechanics in my Eclipse and the idiots never tightened my lugs, they were finger tight when I pulled over on the freeway to figure out what the heck the sound/vibration was!

I never touch the lugs unless I'm putting them all the way on, or taking them all the way off. I would double check the threads on your studs because who knows what happened with all that play in there.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hellaSleepy
You can drive on it if you need to its not gonna lock up & fail right away, its not really damaging anything else but the wheel bearing itself. But after a while if its still not replaced & the noise has gotten waayy worse, it can cause things to snap & your wheel could fall off I'd rather fix it ASAP though
The longer you drive on a bad wheel bearing, the greater the risk of damaging the knuckle or hub bearing surface.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fujin
Originally Posted by rydelow' timestamp='1322984752' post='21208760
:facepalm: I know, I know man. I feel like a total idiot for not checking myself.
You need to replace this friend, he's trying to kill you. *nods*
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I've forgotten to tighten lugs so many times I check it three times now after I do any work.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by hellaSleepy' timestamp='1322983457' post='21208745
You can drive on it if you need to its not gonna lock up & fail right away, its not really damaging anything else but the wheel bearing itself. But after a while if its still not replaced & the noise has gotten waayy worse, it can cause things to snap & your wheel could fall off I'd rather fix it ASAP though
The longer you drive on a bad wheel bearing, the greater the risk of damaging the knuckle or hub bearing surface.

& it will sound like a really bad grinding sound as it progressively gets worse - to the point where you think the car will break down. I had a bad wheel bearing in the passenger side rear last year & didnt replace it for a while. Ended up needing a new hub & bearing. Good thing you caught the lugs just in time. I had a friend that lost a wheel on the freeway due to the same mishap & it wasnt a pretty repair at all.