California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help! Wheel click / squealing sound just started

Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help! Wheel click / squealing sound just started

so yesterday was a big day. I installed a set of KW V3 coilovers and axle spacers new rims and tires. Car drove great for the first few hours. Then on the freeway I noticed the car felt rougher and there was a strange almost metallic chirp or click coming from the passenger rear wheel. I was/ am concerned it is a wheel bearing but can't figure out why the heck it would suddenly just GO like that. I never impacted the hub etc.

Wheels are torqued down, all the bolts were torqued to spec. There was one problem removing a bolt from the axle in order to install the 2 piece spacers but I was able to get it out with an impact wrench.

The car hasn't been aligned yet as I just finished the job last night but it drove just fine . Also the tires aren't rubbing because i lifted the car up off them. (they rub only on turns and its a very distinct sound).

Tonight I went down to the car and gave it a shake at the wheel. I heard the car tick as it settled in the rear. Only from both sides!

The original noise seems to increase / decrease with speed. It reminds me of a card in a bicycle spoke kind of metallic note.

I thought perhaps my dust shield was rubbing but it doesn't seem to be the case even after I pushed it back the noise seems to persist. (Will need to get it jacked up / wheel removed first to really know).

Curiously when I start driving the noise isn't immediately apparent. ONly after a few minutes. Ideas?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you pull of your brakes an pads?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by 19wrath85
did you pull of your brakes an pads?
Nope
Old 12-03-2011, 09:31 PM

Damn Nate...I need to start hearing some good news about your car once in a while. This trend needs to stop.

I vote wheel bearings is your problem
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM

If it sounds exactly like this in the video, then it is 100% wheel bearing. I had both go out on me a week after putting on my new some what aggressive wheels, had to replace both wheel bearings & hubs(not a cheap fix). If its not this sound it could be something else, maybe brake wear indicator or something else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsw_E...eature=related
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fujin
The original noise seems to increase / decrease with speed. It reminds me of a card in a bicycle spoke kind of metallic note.
Actually, I had rear brake wear indicators go off on me too & they sound exactly like what you described here
Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 PM

BRB going to go out to the parking lot and use a scissor jack to lift it up and take a look. Is this safe to drive if it is a bad bearing?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 PM

You could drive on it for a while, it'll just be annoying & kind of embarrassing lol. But when the noise gets even worse, then you should replace it ASAP
Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 PM

according to my instructor you will damage more parts by driving on it
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 PM

You can drive on it if you need to its not gonna lock up & fail right away, its not really damaging anything else but the wheel bearing itself. But after a while if its still not replaced & the noise has gotten waayy worse, it can cause things to snap & your wheel could fall off I'd rather fix it ASAP though

Quick Reply: Help! Wheel click / squealing sound just started