California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

help with oil change?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Jan 9 2010, 09:24 PM
Straight from Joey:

I use Mobil 1 non-synthetic as it's my daily and I'm no track fiend, not boosted, and rarely push it REALLY hard. Saves money--after all.... it is a Honda

(*different situations if you track, or are boosted, so I'm not speaking for them)
There's nothing wrong with Dino oil if your not ringing the crap out of your car.

I would run Dino oil in my camry and I did for 40 thousand miles but noticed it was starting to build up in the car so I switched to redline and then amsoil. That motor is known to sludge up and the syn oil helps keep things clean. It has 230 thousand miles and is still strong.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Not in the area to help you but this list might help you get setup.

I use the following tools:
1. Jack (much better than using the one in your trunk, remember you need low profile)
2. 2 jack stands (never get under the car without them)
3. tq wrench and sockets (best way to learn how tight is tight)
4. Oil catch pan (the oil has to go somewhere)
5. Disposable gloves (cannot stand oily hands)
6. Oil funnel (to avoid spills on the motor when refilling)
7. Filter remover (the one that is like a wrench as sometimes that bugger is tight)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so when's the minimeet? lol
Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Jan 9 2010, 09:24 PM
Straight from Joey:

I use Mobil 1 non-synthetic as it's my daily and I'm no track fiend, not boosted, and rarely push it REALLY hard. Saves money--after all.... it is a Honda

(*different situations if you track, or are boosted, so I'm not speaking for them)
Dont get me wrong joey knows HIS SHIT about s2ks... But joey does not drive his car hard... I could not do that to my baby... As much as i vtec my car.. I would be too worried about internal wear...
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by lewiS2K,Jan 10 2010, 01:16 AM
Dont get me wrong joey knows HIS SHIT about s2ks... But joey does not drive his car hard... I could not do that to my baby... As much as i vtec my car.. I would be too worried about internal wear...
Vtecing your car in the street isn't going to require you to run better oils, people here run better oils because of track days etc, it's the extended amount of heat from running near redline for 20 minutes at a time that breaks down cheaper oils.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by danvuquoc,Jan 10 2010, 08:40 AM
Vtecing your car in the street isn't going to require you to run better oils, people here run better oils because of track days etc, it's the extended amount of heat from running near redline for 20 minutes at a time that breaks down cheaper oils.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

My car has seen hard canyon driving MAYBE 10 times.. no tracks or autox.

But Mac, I do see your point about over time switching.. but with a car with barely 15k on the clock, no need to waste the money as of yet.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM

i usually hwy 9 about 3-4 times a week.. since it's not a daily anymore.. thats the only time i really get to enjoy my car. I plan on starting my track whoring this year so yeah... synthetic PLEASE =)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by lewiS2K,Jan 10 2010, 12:53 PM
i usually hwy 9 about 3-4 times a week.. since it's not a daily anymore.. thats the only time i really get to enjoy my car. I plan on starting my track whoring this year so yeah... synthetic PLEASE =)
Lewis do you do 9->35 ever? That's fun. Ryan and I do that a lot. One of these days we'll do 9->35->84
Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Jan 10 2010, 10:09 AM
But Mac, I do see your point about over time switching.. but with a car with barely 15k on the clock, no need to waste the money as of yet.
You don't have to switch over time. That motor in the Camry has a known sludging issue, I don't think the S has this problem.

On the flip side, I change my oil every ten thousand miles and could easily go more but the oil filter is my concern. The Honda filter at ten thousand miles looks great but the bosch filter media didn't look quite as good in the camry. If the oil filter in the Camry was a cleaner change then I might just do the filter but because it makes a huge mess I just change the oil at the same time.
So what I'm saying is you could go with a good synthetic and actually save money and time but then you wouldn't see Joey as often and that's not good.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by macr88,Jan 10 2010, 01:19 PM
You don't have to switch over time. That motor in the Camry has a known sludging issue, I don't think the S has this problem.

On the flip side, I change my oil every ten thousand miles and could easily go more but the oil filter is my concern. The Honda filter at ten thousand miles looks great but the bosch filter media didn't look quite as good in the camry. If the oil filter in the Camry was a cleaner change then I might just do the filter but because it makes a huge mess I just change the oil at the same time.
So what I'm saying is you could go with a good synthetic and actually save money and time but then you wouldn't see Joey as often and that's not good.

Good info

Maybe I'll make the switch on that info alone. I don't see Joey often anyways as he's 40ish minutes away

Oh well--next oil change is 20k, and I don't even know if I'll have the car then

Quick Reply: help with oil change?