California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help, need Valentine's restaurant in San Francisco

Old 01-24-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, need Valentine's restaurant in San Francisco

I appologize for the somewhat off-topic request, but I'm hoping some of you Bay Area folks can help out an east-coaster.

I'll be in San Francisco for a Conference 12-17 Feb and my wife will be joining me for part of the week. What I need is a recommendation for a good restaurant for Valentine's Day (to keep myself out of trouble).

I'll be staying at the Cathedral Hill Hotel (http://www.cathedralhillhotel.com/) which is apparently at 1101 Van Ness Ave. I called the hotel and got pretty crappy suggestions (go to fisherman's wharf - nowhere specific). I'll try again if I don't find anything else on my own.

I wasn't planning on renting a car, so I'm looking for a nice romantic restaurant that's a comfortable cab-ride distance from the hotel. Cost isn't as important as finding a nice place ($150-$200/couple is fine).

Actually I'll be at that hotel several nights, so additional regular restaurant/pub recommendations for that area would be welcome as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
chris.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:20 AM

A nice reasonably priced Country French Restaurant is within a couple miles from your hotel and easy to get to.

Restaurant Clementine
126 Clement Street
San Francisco, CA 94118
415-387-0408

My wife and I really liked this place the times we've gone, but its been a year or so since the last time. Maybe an SF member will pipeup with an opinion. The setting and ambiance were really nice, good wine list, great food and great service.
Reservations would be a must I think for Valentine's Day.
Old 01-24-2002, 01:04 PM

If you can get reservations, the Equinox at the top of the SF Embarcadero Marriott is very nice, the food is amazing. The entire restaurant rotates slowly, so ask for a window seat to get an amazing view while you dine.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:16 PM

the Equinox at the top of the SF Embarcadero Marriott is very nice, the food is amazing.
I second that. If that's booked up, take a look at Farallon and Boulevard. All three are in the downtown SF area (easy cab ride). Also, I know Farallon has a website up so you can do a search. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:24 PM

There is a restaurant called Tommy Toy's next the the Transamerica building that i went to once and it is really good and romantic. Its a 5 course chinese cuisine dinner that includes the rose at the end.. my ex took me there one Valentines, its like $150 a couple.. not too bad and its very nice.. good food too..
Old 01-24-2002, 05:53 PM

You should try HornBlower Dining Cruise. I took my gf there for her b-day and it happened to be on 4th of July so it was very nice. Cruise starts around 8pm and goes til late night. It maybe a bit cold, but it is not often to be able t cruise around the bay and see the SF night light. Click on the link below to goto there website, this page shows their February schedule.

http://www.hornblower.com/idc.asp?GuestNum...NTH=2&YEAR=2002

Have a great time in SF!
Old 01-24-2002, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by sylvainsf
If you can get reservations, the Equinox at the top of the SF Embarcadero Marriott is very nice, the food is amazing. The entire restaurant rotates slowly, so ask for a window seat to get an amazing view while you dine.
I think you meant Hyatt Regency Embarcadero. The Marriott is on 4th Street and has a great lounge to look over the City, but Equinox is at the Hyatt Regency.
Old 01-24-2002, 08:42 PM

I vote for Boulevard!!!! Make your reservations now! It is romantic....great food....ahhhhh....my fav restaurant!

Christine
Old 01-24-2002, 08:48 PM

One of the many reasons San Francisco is one of the greatest cities
in the world, is it's long list of excellent restaurants.
However, if you're looking for an truly unforgettable evening, you might want
to consider Chez Panisse It's
considered one of the best restaurants in the country! (If you can get in).
It's a short ride across the bridge in Berkeley.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:45 PM

Well, if we're talking East Bay here, then my personal favorite would be Bay Wolf -- a shorter drive over the Bay Bridge to Piedmont. And you're more likely to be able to get in, though for Valentine's day, I'd call now to reserve. www.baywolf.com -- phone 510-655-6004.

They've been around over 25 years, with many of the original staff still there, and Michael Wild (chef/owner) is one of the great raconteurs of my experience and a simply great chef.

Quick Reply: Help, need Valentine's restaurant in San Francisco