California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help me fight my ticket!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me fight my ticket!

I posted this in the S2000 Talk forum as well but maybe my bay area folks can help me out a bit. This happened to me this morning.

- I sped up to pass a yellow light and got pulled over for going 45 when speed limit is 30 down 11th street next to San Jose State University
- This right here pisses me off most. I passed up this slow ass car to make a left turn prior to me getting pulled over. The only car behind me was this white truck. So I admit I went over a double yellow to do so. It was a one lane that branched off so I went over the double yellow before it branched off to allow me to turn. Then when I got pulled over for speeding, THAT WHITE truck pulls up to the cop and tells them I passed up on a double yellow. Turns out, there was an off duty cop in that truck!!

So I got cited twice!

A friend of mine recommended using ticketassassin.com so what can I say to contest this issue thru the mail? I have 1 point on my record from last Labor Day weekend and don't need another 2.

I know this is completely my fault but hey, crap happens.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:32 AM

You passed an off duty cop? You have two citing officers, even though only one signed your ticket. Unfortunately you are hosed. Your ONLY chance is to contest the ticket and hope the cop doesn't show up.

But you know it was your fault... just nut it up and pay it. If you go in and talk to the judge (and admit guilt), they will probably reduce your bail by 25 or 50%.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Go find a local S J ticket lawyer search on google, your looking at about 500-900 bucks to get the ticket sign off, NO points, no nothing case dismissed ! But its$$$$$
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Well, if you contest the ticket in court, most likely the only witness that will show up is the cop that sighted you, not the off duty cop. If that is the case, the cop did not see you actually cross the double yellow lines and therefore can not testify to that as it would be here say, so you should be able to get out of that. Speeding...your out of luck on that one.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Jul 19 2006, 10:52 AM

Well, if you contest the ticket in court, most likely the only witness that will show up is the cop that sighted you, not the off duty cop. If that is the case, the cop did not see you actually cross the double yellow lines and therefore can not testify to that as it would be here say, so you should be able to get out of that. Speeding...your out of luck on that one.
True.

I am sure the off duty cop would not show up... he wouldn't get paid if he did. But I would think all the citing cop needs to say is "an off duty cop witnessed a simulaneous incident... and that would be all the judge would need to hear. A citizen witnessing it vs an off duty cop would be a different story, I would think.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Jul 19 2006, 10:52 AM

Old 07-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by stooken,Jul 19 2006, 10:14 AM
- I sped up to pass a yellow light
You do know yellow means slow down, not speed up.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Jul 19 2006, 11:50 AM
True.

I am sure the off duty cop would not show up... he wouldn't get paid if he did. But I would think all the citing cop needs to say is "an off duty cop witnessed a simulaneous incident... and that would be all the judge would need to hear. A citizen witnessing it vs an off duty cop would be a different story, I would think.
I heard if I contest it thru the mail and the citing officer doesn't reply then my case gets dismissed. In this case, the officer doesn't get paid an extra cash to submit his response.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by stooken,Jul 19 2006, 12:41 PM
I heard if I contest it thru the mail and the citing officer doesn't reply then my case gets dismissed. In this case, the officer doesn't get paid an extra cash to submit his response.
I have heard the same... can not say whether it is true or not though.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 PM

You do know yellow means slow down, not speed up.
in LA it usually means hurry up before the light turns red

Quick Reply: Help me fight my ticket!