California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help installing Soft top

Old 10-12-2009, 02:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help installing Soft top

Hey guys I recently purchased a 2001 S2k and the owner provided a new soft top (sadly plastic window) because the current one has 2 holes in it.

I could tackle the job myself but since it's my first time I'm not sure what to expect and how long it will take me being my first time. I've done a bunch of things on cars but nothing like installing a soft top. If someone could help me I can gladly pay them and maybe we can chat up on cars over a meal too. I'm located in Marin County. Let me know how much and other details. Thanks guys, Glad to be a virgin s2k owner
Old 10-12-2009, 02:27 AM

Or if you guys know of a good shop too...
Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a diy somewhere, its gonna take you a few hours to tackle it yourself and i would look into getting a glass one if your going to replace it, make it worth while.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Congrats on the new car... check for the DIY.. it's not as difficult as you might think... remember, it'll be alot easier if you just tear through your current top (won't be salvageable) but it will save your hours on the removal portion of the install..
Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 PM

Ya i've seen the DIY's but from the pictures and description it looks hard. (I have read that it's easy, just time consuming) I actually haven't even seen my car yet, I just know that it has the holes on the top and that I need to get it replaced. Maybe if I actually see all the panels and top in person i'll be able to assess the DIY better.

If I did get the glass window top, then would anyone even buy the plastic window? I can't let it go to waste right?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by lewiS2K,Oct 12 2009, 11:47 AM
Congrats on the new car... check for the DIY.. it's not as difficult as you might think... remember, it'll be alot easier if you just tear through your current top (won't be salvageable) but it will save your hours on the removal portion of the install..
I saw in one of the DIY's that a guy cut his soft top, I will do that.

One question, I know that the soft tops have common "wear" spots and I was wondering if someone can point out where they are with a picture. I was looking at the robin's top install and the OP says there is a common wear spot by the "plastic guard behind the soft top" Can someone explain to me where this is. Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by IHoP,Oct 12 2009, 01:36 PM
I saw in one of the DIY's that a guy cut his soft top, I will do that.

One question, I know that the soft tops have common "wear" spots and I was wondering if someone can point out where they are with a picture. I was looking at the robin's top install and the OP says there is a common wear spot by the "plastic guard behind the soft top" Can someone explain to me where this is. Thanks
its behind the passenger/driver window but before the rear window. you will see 2 L shaped bars, the edge of the L is where the wear spots are. what you wanna do is get some padding or cut up your old top and wrap it around the edge.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by chViETnk,Oct 12 2009, 12:47 PM
its behind the passenger/driver window but before the rear window. you will see 2 L shaped bars, the edge of the L is where the wear spots are. what you wanna do is get some padding or cut up your old top and wrap it around the edge.
alright thanks, a lot, I will do that.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM

the quick how to (maybe i'll type up a step by step)

-optional, but removing seats makes everything a hell of a lot easier
-remove ALL plastic trim from the door plates (has "honda s2000" silver plate) back, i mean EVERYTHING plastic trim related
-remove roll hoops (8 bolts each)
-remove nuts across the back (below the window and around to the sides)
-remove bolts holding frame to chassis (behind door) there is a hidden one below where the roll hoop bolts in
-with a helper, lift complete frame from car, might need to wiggle a little to clear motors and such
-reverse order to install

i could help you, but i live in socal (92627), would probably take me 2 hours from start to finish, maybe less with someone's help
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by shnibop,Oct 12 2009, 05:30 PM
the quick how to (maybe i'll type up a step by step)

-optional, but removing seats makes everything a hell of a lot easier
-remove ALL plastic trim from the door plates (has "honda s2000" silver plate) back, i mean EVERYTHING plastic trim related
-remove roll hoops (8 bolts each)
-remove nuts across the back (below the window and around to the sides)
-remove bolts holding frame to chassis (behind door) there is a hidden one below where the roll hoop bolts in
-with a helper, lift complete frame from car, might need to wiggle a little to clear motors and such
-reverse order to install

i could help you, but i live in socal (92627), would probably take me 2 hours from start to finish, maybe less with someone's help
I actually live in socal for school but I'm bringing the car from norcal to socal. If the car was down here, it would be a lot easier for me to install. Thanks tho

Quick Reply: Help installing Soft top