California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help! I rear-ended someone. =( Advice needed!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarcoPiper
Originally Posted by AZH' timestamp='1398864134' post='23137029
[quote name='MarcoPiper' timestamp='1398840890' post='23136772']
[quote name='AZH' timestamp='1398833483' post='23136670']
I drive a company owned car and no matter what the damage or non damage is, I HAVE to report anything that happens or I could get fired. So put yourself in that guys shoes. If he doesnt report it because YOU HIT HIM, he may have a chance of being terminated. I'm not losing my job because you can't maintain proper distance behind me.
Oh come on, you're being dramatic, did you see the pics? Parallel parking in SF makes worse damage than that. Every day.
Yes it's his fault, but that guy is being an ass, that damage is not even noticeable. And if someone notices and questions him about his bumper he can just say: "Where? Over there? ...oh idk it might have been a parallel parking tap from the car behind me".
Are they gonna fire him because there's a 1/4 inch black dot on his back bumper that he didn't see???
It's not a question of "being an ass". If you're involved in a collision in the company car and you don't report it you can be terminated. That's the stipulation at my company. I don't know about this guy I am only offering my experience.

Glad you think the person who got hit is "being an ass" by reporting it but not the person who hit his car and wants to skirt responsibility is "being an ass". 100% of the time I'm going to pick my job security over trying to protect someone from an insurance claim that they caused. The "Just be cool, man. Don't be an ass and report me" attitude doesn't fly.
[/quote]

I understand.
But the damage it's SO unnoticeable (especially if it's a company car, the car you work with every day, not your show car or your weekend s2k) that if he said they were good.. It's kind of a low blow to go and let the insurance company call him after everything has happened and without notice.
He surely wouldn't have lost his job and nothing would have happened if he just kept his mouth shut and just let it go.
I think the guy who got hit realized he can make some money over this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Marco,

I drive a company vehicle on the daily. I can put myself in both situations. I've been involved in a collision with the work vehicle that I didn't create, but there was more damage then a mere tap. You should NEVER trust anyone when it comes with a collision. The "I won't report it if you don't" doesn't fly. As AZH said, if you don't report any incident you were in on a company vehicle, then you can be terminated. If the other person decided to report it even though he says "he won't", YOU LOSE YOUR JOB! My job, my life, my $ worth more than a small incident.

To your point, that even if I played it off, I'm still in charge of that vehicle. Any damage, scratch, dent, paint exchange will cause a company to question my ability to drive their vehicle, which can lead to a severance. Even if I was in SF and those small bumper taps happen all the time, if someone else notices before I do, then there is a problem. No company wants a phone call saying their vehicle is at fault for damaging someone's property. I'm sure if you owned a company, you don't want a lawsuit over something small. If reported, the company nor driver gets any money, $0. Most of these vehicles are fleet service owned and/or are on lease, they will normally just fix the car at their body shop and flip the bill to the at fault's insurance. Anything <$800 of damage normally will not raise your premium.

The driver of that Google Express vehicle asked my friend, who happened to see the whole incident, to help him get his car off so he can run and not lose his job... my friend didn't do it, and other bystanders called news stations and it was all over the news.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That pic is hilarious.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope everything gets sorted out!

on another note..

Originally Posted by rob-2
It's people like you who make accidents difficult. You hit him and now you want to get out of using coverage? Grow up and be an adult. Call the insurance company back and get it sorted out.

I highly doubt you'd be willing to have your rear bumper scuffed up and be forced to pay to have it fixed yourself; when the goof ball who hit you can cover the damage he/she did.
this was pretty uncalled for, Rob.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This post has been edited by...
Old 05-04-2014, 03:59 PM

Received 1,558 Likes on 1,430 Posts