California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help! I rear-ended someone. =( Advice needed!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
It's people like you who make accidents difficult. You hit him and now you want to get out of using coverage? Grow up and be an adult. Call the insurance company back and get it sorted out.

I highly doubt you'd be willing to have your rear bumper scuffed up and be forced to pay to have it fixed yourself; when the goof ball who hit you can cover the damage he/she did.

I have to agree with rob-2. tough luck on that love tap. I highly suggest you start answering their calls and calling your insurance to settle that. you prolly don't want a letter from small claims department.

o... hai gais!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM
AZH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive a company owned car and no matter what the damage or non damage is, I HAVE to report anything that happens or I could get fired. So put yourself in that guys shoes. If he doesnt report it because YOU HIT HIM, he may have a chance of being terminated. I'm not losing my job because you can't maintain proper distance behind me.

Also, if it's raining you need to increase the distance between yourself and the car in front of you because stopping distances are increased. No matter how you slice it, you admitted you took your eyes off the road and then hit him. Definitely not his fault.

You may be worrying about nothing too. The company insurance may just need a statement or just trying to follow through on the report and are not looking for money.

I was in a similar incident but I was hit from behind. It looked like no damage but the clips broke and needed to be replaced along with a small respray. I also HAVE to call the cops so they came out to file a report. I would have felt badly for the driver that hit me - taking time with the cops, making a claim for such small damage - but she was the stupid ass who had to drive with her Chihuahua on her lap while texting and hit me from behind at a red light. So I didn't feel badly at all. Weird that every single panel on her car had body damage???

Another time I backed up at a hotel in my work car and gently backed into a car - no damage to either car - and no occupants in the other car (parked) but I still called it in and reported MY error to my fleet company.

You just need to man the f@ck up and be accountable for your actions. Sorry it sucks but it's on you man.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by TougeHorseman' timestamp='1398782272' post='23135206
[quote name='tkeyyy' timestamp='1398756751' post='23134799']
:/ was it really at a crosswalk? seems like the other guy is pretty much saying it's your fault since it's his "company car," but it would be helpful if you knew. don't think he can get money off of a company car haha.

if im looking at the photos correctly.. did the front plate scratched the bottom portion of their company car's bumper? (unless those black spots are just dirt that happened to line up the same direction)
Usually it's the persons fault who hits another car from behind. Ask me how I know...it makes no sense for liability to be based on who owns the car in front. The other driver was probably encouraged to file a report since it is a company car.
depends on the situation. not always at fault. if a car brakes and the person behind hits them and there's nothing to stop for (brake check), then it'll fall 50/50 since both were at fault.

i'd do what brian says above and play it safe, but don't hop the fence and run or it'll just turn ugly real quick.
[/quote]
I think we agree, maybe I misunderstood your articulation about fault being related to who owns the car.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the replies/advice. I called my insurance agent today and they said they would take care of it. Hopefully it all goes well. I'll follow-up with you guys on the result when I hear back.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I was going to say what AZH said. It's probably just company policy to report the accident so that everything can be disclosed and then closed. The chances of them filing a claim are very minor. The insurance company just has to follow up then close the accident.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by AZH
I drive a company owned car and no matter what the damage or non damage is, I HAVE to report anything that happens or I could get fired. So put yourself in that guys shoes. If he doesnt report it because YOU HIT HIM, he may have a chance of being terminated. I'm not losing my job because you can't maintain proper distance behind me.
Oh come on, you're being dramatic, did you see the pics? Parallel parking in SF makes worse damage than that. Every day.
Yes it's his fault, but that guy is being an ass, that damage is not even noticeable. And if someone notices and questions him about his bumper he can just say: "Where? Over there? ...oh idk it might have been a parallel parking tap from the car behind me".
Are they gonna fire him because there's a 1/4 inch black dot on his back bumper that he didn't see???
Old 04-30-2014, 05:22 AM
AZH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoPiper
Originally Posted by AZH' timestamp='1398833483' post='23136670
Oh come on, you're being dramatic, did you see the pics? Parallel parking in SF makes worse damage than that. Every day.
Yes it's his fault, but that guy is being an ass, that damage is not even noticeable. And if someone notices and questions him about his bumper he can just say: "Where? Over there? ...oh idk it might have been a parallel parking tap from the car behind me".
Are they gonna fire him because there's a 1/4 inch black dot on his back bumper that he didn't see???
It's not a question of "being an ass". If you're involved in a collision in the company car and you don't report it you can be terminated. That's the stipulation at my company. I don't know about this guy I am only offering my experience.

Glad you think the person who got hit is "being an ass" by reporting it but not the person who hit his car and wants to skirt responsibility is "being an ass". 100% of the time I'm going to pick my job security over trying to protect someone from an insurance claim that they caused. The "Just be cool, man. Don't be an ass and report me" attitude doesn't fly.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by AZH
Originally Posted by MarcoPiper' timestamp='1398840890' post='23136772
[quote name='AZH' timestamp='1398833483' post='23136670']
It's not a question of "being an ass". If you're involved in a collision in the company car and you don't report it you can be terminated. That's the stipulation at my company. I don't know about this guy I am only offering my experience.

Glad you think the person who got hit is "being an ass" by reporting it but not the person who hit his car and wants to skirt responsibility is "being an ass". 100% of the time I'm going to pick my job security over trying to protect someone from an insurance claim that they caused. The "Just be cool, man. Don't be an ass and report me" attitude doesn't fly.
[/quote]

I understand.
But the damage it's SO unnoticeable (especially if it's a company car, the car you work with every day, not your show car or your weekend s2k) that if he said they were good.. It's kind of a low blow to go and let the insurance company call him after everything has happened and without notice.
He surely wouldn't have lost his job and nothing would have happened if he just kept his mouth shut and just let it go.
I think the guy who got hit realized he can make some money over this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guy who got hit stands to make no money it's a fleet vehicle. The company insurance gets everything. Also he was not hurt so he can not claim injury or miss time. He was just reporting it like he is supposed to so he could cover his ass.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Quick Reply: Help! I rear-ended someone. =( Advice needed!