California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Help! I rear-ended someone. =( Advice needed!

Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I rear-ended someone. =( Advice needed!

Hi S2K Community!

This is my first post and I really need your help. I own a 2003 Suzuka Blue AP1 with 97,500 miles that I've had since August.

This past Friday, I was driving in the rain in Berkeley and my windshield fogged up. While I was messing with my AC instruments to defog it, I didn't notice that the guy in front of me stopped abruptly, probably due to a cross-walk or something (there are a ton of jaywalkers in Berkeley), and I slammed on the brakes and gently tapped his car. I mean I literally love-tapped his car - it was nothing major, and certainly not something I would call up the insurance agent for. After the bump, we pulled over to examine the damage which was literally nothing, I could not even find a scratch, let-alone a dent or anything of that nature. The only noticeable ding on my S2K was that my license plate dented back a little - it more than likely took up all the force of the impact. At the scene, he said that it was nothing and we both agreed to let it go, however he did mention that it was his company car...I honestly thought that was good enough reason to let me go since it wasn't even his personal car. After exchanging information (which I now regret doing), we went our separate ways. I thought I was home-free until his Farmer's Auto Insurance called me this morning. They left a voicemail and want to talk with me about "Friday's automobile incident." I still haven't called back for fear that I may incriminate myself more than I already have by giving away my information. As you can see from the photos, there is literally no damage to his car, and only a little ding on my license plate. I certainly don't want my insurance to rise just because this guy decided he was going to involve his insurance since it was his company car, and maybe to make some money off of me or something.

Your feedback on how I should approach responding to his insurance would be greatly appreciated! I was really hoping to just get off the hook, but since he already called his insurance, I'm really worried over what my next move should be. THANKS!!

PHOTOS:
http://s1156.photobucket.com/user/Su...?sort=3&page=1
Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:/ was it really at a crosswalk? seems like the other guy is pretty much saying it's your fault since it's his "company car," but it would be helpful if you knew. don't think he can get money off of a company car haha.

if im looking at the photos correctly.. did the front plate scratched the bottom portion of their company car's bumper? (unless those black spots are just dirt that happened to line up the same direction)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi tkeyyy,

Thanks for the reply!

Ah I'm not too sure about the cross-walk thing. After looking over the images again and a video I took (which had a better angle of his rear bumper), I noticed the black spots were all over the bumper. So they were perhaps just previous wear and tear/dirt; also, the black spots were spread too far across to be from just my license plate so I don't believe that was from me.

I think I'm just going to call his insurance company back and not admit fault. Basically, I'm going to be very general and state that there was a collision and that there was no damage, as evident from the pictures we both took. This is true because I really don't know why this is being reported to begin with.

I'll update this post after I make the call. Hopefully this can help someone else who ends up in a similar situation.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
:/ was it really at a crosswalk? seems like the other guy is pretty much saying it's your fault since it's his "company car," but it would be helpful if you knew. don't think he can get money off of a company car haha.

if im looking at the photos correctly.. did the front plate scratched the bottom portion of their company car's bumper? (unless those black spots are just dirt that happened to line up the same direction)
Usually it's the persons fault who hits another car from behind. Ask me how I know...it makes no sense for liability to be based on who owns the car in front. The other driver was probably encouraged to file a report since it is a company car.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was rear ended by someone who was driving a loner car from Audi in November last year. only damage to my car was 2 marks from the license plate like you mentioned. The car i was driving at the time was an 09 civic coupe. The other drive and i exchanged info but he said he would just pay outright for the damage after i got an estimate from a shop. I was shocked to find out that the damage was 700+ dollars just to refinish the bumper and repaint it. I went to three different shops one quoted 718 750 and 780. The funny thing is the guy driving the loner Audi had the loner Audi because his Audi was in the shop because he rear ended someone.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It's people like you who make accidents difficult. You hit him and now you want to get out of using coverage? Grow up and be an adult. Call the insurance company back and get it sorted out.

I highly doubt you'd be willing to have your rear bumper scuffed up and be forced to pay to have it fixed yourself; when the goof ball who hit you can cover the damage he/she did.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't call back the insurance company they can actually go after you for a hit and run. I suggest calling them back before they decide to say screw it and fix whatever MAY be broken and just send you the bill for it. Insurance companies are nobody to play with.. Also, if the damage doesn't exceed $750 in property/bodily injury then you don't even receive a point for it and it's as if it never happened since it goes down as a no fault.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call them back, get a case number, then call your own insurance, tell them what you just told us, refer them the case number and let them deal with it. That's what you pay them to do.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 1,565 Likes on 1,436 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I would call them back, get a case number, then call your own insurance, tell them what you just told us, refer them the case number and let them deal with it. That's what you pay them to do.
1. Call your insurance agent.
2. Call their insurance, get the case number, and if they start asking questions, defer it to either your insurance or your lawyer. Don't state or agree to anything unless your insurance company and/or lawyer agree.
3. Call your insurance agent and/or lawyer back.

I got sued for $1.8M many many years ago. . . and then my insurance countersued the other party for $2.9M. They were able to do it because:
A. The other party was overly anxious to get money, not resolve a dispute.
B. I was overly calm and measured in my response.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1398756751' post='23134799

Usually it's the persons fault who hits another car from behind. Ask me how I know...it makes no sense for liability to be based on who owns the car in front. The other driver was probably encouraged to file a report since it is a company car.
depends on the situation. not always at fault. if a car brakes and the person behind hits them and there's nothing to stop for (brake check), then it'll fall 50/50 since both were at fault.

i'd do what brian says above and play it safe, but don't hop the fence and run or it'll just turn ugly real quick.

Quick Reply: Help! I rear-ended someone. =( Advice needed!