California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

help a Canadian with importing a S2K

Old 03-10-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help a Canadian with importing a S2K

Hey guys..as the title says... with the help of Joey (south san fran Arco) and my brother I found my s2k and will be importing it to Canada soon.

The only thing I am getting lost is on the fact that I need an in transit permit to have the car shipped to the closest border and then drive across...does anyone know how I can get an in transit permit or "one trip permit". anyone work at a dealership who can help me or know someone who can get it for me?

Im freaking here
Old 03-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-11-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'd be better off contacting a local dealership, or Canadian customs than asking the Bay Area forum.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I believe the way it works is you get a travel permit from a local DMV in California.

You need to fax docs (48 hours in advance) to Canadian customs and rev before showing up at the boarder with the car. If the car is pre-06 it won't pass the day time running lights test and will need to be modified before your province will issue plates.

I highly suggest searching this site, specifically looking into the BC,AB and ON sections for folks who have done the same.

Whatever you do, ensure you have full insurance on the car, providing your insurance company with the VIN in case something should happen. Don't be cheap, another Canadian member had their car catch on fire before fully insured. He bought an expensive paper weight.

Oh and bring the KY. Guys at the boarder will be no fun. Get ready to wait and if you get a real anal guy, a very 'complete' inspection of the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I believe the way it works is you get a travel permit from a local DMV in California.

You need to fax docs (48 hours in advance) to Canadian customs and rev before showing up at the boarder with the car. If the car is pre-06 it won't pass the day time running lights test and will need to be modified before your province will issue plates.

I highly suggest searching this site, specifically looking into the BC,AB and ON sections for folks who have done the same.

Whatever you do, ensure you have full insurance on the car, providing your insurance company with the VIN in case something should happen. Don't be cheap, another Canadian member had their car catch on fire before fully insured. He bought an expensive paper weight.

Oh and bring the KY. Guys at the boarder will be no fun. Get ready to wait and if you get a real anal guy, a very 'complete' inspection of the car.
Does the rev have to be within VTEC range or is it ok to keep it below? No sense attractin unwanted attention if the rev is ok at 4,000 RPM. Wouldn't want someone at the border sneaking in the trunk as an unwanted boarder.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1363031812' post='22396399

Does the rev have to be within VTEC range or is it ok to keep it below? No sense attractin unwanted attention if the rev is ok at 4,000 RPM. Wouldn't want someone at the border sneaking in the trunk as an unwanted boarder.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.

You enjoy following me around online huh?