California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Heated seat recommendations?

Old 01-29-2006, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

littlerocket777,

Keep us informed. I am interested in how your experinece with the driver's seat will be.

thanks,

Keith
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's finally done, but I didn't get to take pictures because my camera was not home. The driver's only took me a little over an hour to install, cuz I knew what I was doing this time around. Here are the details.

Tools and materials needed:
- Hog ring clip pliers
- Socket set
- Needle nose pliers
- Flat head screwdriver

1. Remove the seat from the car, 4 bolts. You should put the seat on a table to work on, your back will thank you for it.

2. Pull the recliner handle to make the seat lean forward. When behind the seat, look at the base of the back. There are 3 clips, I guess. The clips are shaped like this. Basically, take your hands and curl your fingers like you're holding a shift knob. Now lock your fingers together, that's how the clips work. Use the Flat head screwdriver and pry the clips apart. There are 3 of them 2 are like 1 inch long and the 3rd in the middle is really long.

3. After you pried all 3 clips apart, you can pull the middle of the seat back out. Now look at the reclining joints. One side has a black crown nut. Loosen that and remove. On the other side roll up the bolster, there's 2 bolts you need to remove. After you remove those 2 bolts, the seat back can be seperated from the seat bottom.

4. So, having the seat back, flip up the middle of the seat back. Peel back the black cloth, there are Hog ring clips. Pry them off. There's like 4 on either side for a total of 8. Don't take the ones off at the end, because you don't need to. After you seperate the leather from the foam, go ahead and stick the back heating pad wherever you want. Depends if you want it on the lower back or upper back.

5. Now off to the seat bottom. Remove the seat rails. Pull off all the clips attached to the aluminum frame. Careful of the edges, they're sharp. Now flip the leather up. They're more Hog ring clips on the seat bottom. Starting from the front of the seat, take the 3 on either side off for a total of 6. Then there's 2 in the middle (hence the hole in the middle of the heating pad, now you know why). Remove the 2 in the middle. Now remove 1 more clip on either side for a total of 2. Now you should only have 2 more clips at the back of the seat, leave those, but you can remove 1 on one side if you can't run the wire of the bottom heating pad through. Now tape on the bottom pad.

6. Clip up the bottom seat, attach the seat back back to the bottom, and you're set.

It might sound easy or hard, but I did it. I had help though, my dad's a upholsterer. My friend, who also just starting casting plastic molds, took my coin tray, molded it, and created a recessed plate to mount my switches. It looks almost completely stock.

I wired up the power to the ACC power source at the driver's footwell, where everyone hardwired their whatevers.