California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Headlight adjustment

Old 08-23-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=BrianZ,Aug 23 2009, 10:47 PM]Make sure the bulb installed correctly.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm odd..
i wonder why they would make the lights not even?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:58 PM

you need to stick a philips screwdriver through one of the openings in the fender to reach the adjustment knob. turn it using the screwdriver to adjust the light beam to shoot higher or lower.

and yes, the driver side is suppose to be slightly lower to avoid blinding on-coming traffic.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond,Aug 24 2009, 12:12 AM
Aftermarket 6000k bulbs. I know I lose some visibility, but this seems to be an obvious alignment problem. It's very obvious that the driver's side is pointing more downwards than my passenger bulb. I had my mechanic install them for me. He said it took about 45 minutes each side, first time he's changed bulbs in an s2000 I guess. They both work fine, just the driver's side bulb seems to point down more to the ground and pointing to the right. I would've just plugged them in and thought they'd be fine had I installed them myself.

It's supposed to be this way. But mine seem to be way off from the oem bulbs.
45mins a side? wow are you serious, it takes me like 5mins per side lol. the bulb only fits in there one way unless he somehow jammed it in another way but i doubt it. it is normal for the driver side to be lower, are you sure its pointing to the right more? did your mechanic screw around with your adjusters or did he take off your bumper/headlight to put them in? and there are adjustable knobs on the headlight unit, just look at your owners manual and it should have instructions on how to adjust your headlights or look it up online. i have 8000k bulbs in my s2k and they shoot out the same as oem ones and i never touched any of the knobs.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:14 AM

If your headlights were ok before the bulb replacment then
1) bulb installed incorrectly
2) poped headlight assembly out of adjusters
3) bulb made incorrectly

BTW - the headlights should not be even drives side should be a little lower than drivers (generally)
Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianZ,Aug 24 2009, 08:14 AM
If your headlights were ok before the bulb replacment then
1) bulb installed incorrectly
2) poped headlight assembly out of adjusters
3) bulb made incorrectly

BTW - the headlights should not be even drives side should be a little lower than drivers (generally)
Old 08-24-2009, 09:37 AM

Yeah it seemed odd to me that it was so different after the bulbs were replaced. Regardless, I still have the problem and it needs to be fixed.

chvietnk, you seem to know what you're doing. Do you mind helping me with this situation? I'll pay you and food! Lmk
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by chViETnk,Aug 24 2009, 03:50 AM
The bulb only fits in there one way unless he somehow jammed it in another way but i doubt it.
I have changed many a bulbs and have fixed dozens of cars for the same complaint as to OP. I would say 80% of the time the bulb is installed incorrectly (not fully seated, not indexed into the housing correctly are the two biggest). It happens.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hk_s2k,Aug 23 2009, 11:58 PM
you need to stick a philips screwdriver through one of the openings in the fender to reach the adjustment knob. turn it using the screwdriver to adjust the light beam to shoot higher or lower.

and yes, the driver side is suppose to be slightly lower to avoid blinding on-coming traffic.
I figured that b/c the difference was so little that they were designed that way, I just wasn't 100% sure. This method of adjusting the lights may work...when I tried this on mine it was moving the lights more side-to-side than up-n-down
Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_51009,Aug 24 2009, 10:14 AM
I figured that b/c the difference was so little that they were designed that way, I just wasn't 100% sure. This method of adjusting the lights may work...when I tried this on mine it was moving the lights more side-to-side than up-n-down
yeah i believe those adjusters were for vertical movement, not horizontal. I messed around with it a bit last night, but my problem seems to be a horizontal alignment and probably a vertical now since I think I messed it up a bit, or quite a bit.

From all the info I got, it seems that the bulbs are installed incorrectly. Just wondering if someone is willing to help me do this so I don't further mess this up.

Quick Reply: Headlight adjustment